What is the method for calculating moment of inertia for basic geometric shapes?

In summary, the author is looking for a more easy way to calculate the moment of inertia for basic geometric shapes, with a given axis of rotation. He finds the theory of shapes being built from point masses, but is not familiar with integration. He asks for help, and is given an example.
Eeduh

Homework Statement

I want to calculate the moment of inertia of a 2d triangle. Let's say we've got a triangle with sides of 20 units. So it has width 20 and height 17,32.
Also, let's say this triangle has a mass of 173.20 mass units (just used the surface). Now I want to calculate the moment of inertia from a given axis of rotation.

Homework Equations

I = M*r^2 for point mass

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the triangle is basically built from an infinite number of point masses, but it has no use to divide the mass by the number of point masses, and calculate the MI for every single point. There must be a more easy way of calculating the moment of inertia for basic geometric shapes, with a given axis of rotation. But I can only find the theory of shapes being built from point masses. Please help :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
This is why you must use integration to solve the problem.

Does this get you started...

Sorry not really.. I'm not very familiar with integration. Would you be so kind of giving me an example for this problem? For example, with the axis of rotation at 7,2 when the vertexes of the triangle are at 0,0; 17.32,10; 20,0? I understand if this would be too much to ask.

Ok, to avoid integration...

In your book you should have what the moment of inertia of a triangle is (about its center of mass).

You can then find the moment of inertia about a general point by adding Mass * Distance to this term. Where Mass is the mass of the whole triangle and distance is the displacement from the center.

So

Moment of Inertia = Moment of Inertia about the center + MR^2

Allright thanks, I think this will help. btw, I don't have a book :P I want to know this for myself, doing some programming. But I'll have a look on the internet again, and I'll figure it out.

1. What is "Rigid Body Moment of Inertia"?

The moment of inertia of a rigid body is a measure of its resistance to rotational motion. It is a physical property that depends on the mass distribution of the object and the axis of rotation.

2. How is the moment of inertia calculated?

The moment of inertia can be calculated by summing the products of the mass of each particle in the object and the square of its distance from the axis of rotation. This can be expressed mathematically as I = ∑(m*r^2).

3. What is the unit of measurement for moment of inertia?

The unit of measurement for moment of inertia is kilogram-meter squared (kg·m^2) in the SI system. In the imperial system, it is measured in pound-square feet (lb·ft^2).

4. How does the moment of inertia affect the rotational motion of an object?

The moment of inertia plays a crucial role in determining the speed at which an object rotates about an axis. A higher moment of inertia means the object will require more torque to achieve the same rotational speed, while a lower moment of inertia will result in faster rotation.

5. How is the moment of inertia different from mass?

The mass of an object is a measure of its resistance to linear motion, while the moment of inertia is a measure of its resistance to rotational motion. A heavier object will have a higher mass but may have a lower moment of inertia if its mass is concentrated closer to the axis of rotation.