Express Imaginary number in standard form.

In summary: Nope. Try again. cos(-5pi)=-1 and the magnitude of z is 2*sqrt(2). You can do better.how about now?Okay, how exactly it it get from 2*sqrt(2) x [-1] to this number: -2048it shouldn't, that's a mistake, I was following an example with a negative exponent thus explaining why i thought it should be raised to the positive 20. but, z^20 does have to be change to z^1, so the equation will then go from this (i think):z^20 = [2*sqrt(2)]^(20) x cis[(
linuxux

Homework Statement

Need to see if what I am doing is right, here is the problem:

z= 4i/(-1+i), express z^20 in standard form.

so,

z= 4i/(-1+i) = 2-2i

z^20 = 2*sqrt(2) x cis[20(-pi/4)] = 2*sqrt(2) x cis(-5pi)
= 2*sqrt(2) x [cos(-5pi) + i sin(-5pi)]
= 2*sqrt(2) x [-1 + 0i]
= 2*sqrt(2) x [-1] = -2048

so the final answer is only a real number of magnitude -2048+0i. is this correct? thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Nope. Try again. cos(-5pi)=-1 and the magnitude of z is 2*sqrt(2). You can do better.

how about now?

Okay, how exactly it it get from

2*sqrt(2) x [-1] to this number: -2048

mezarashi said:
Okay, how exactly it it get from

2*sqrt(2) x [-1] to this number: -2048

it shouldn't, that's a mistake, I was following an example with a negative exponent thus explaining why i thought it should be raised to the positive 20. but, z^20 does have to be change to z^1, so the equation will then go from this (i think):

z^20 = [2*sqrt(2)]^(20) x cis[(20)(-pi/4)]

to this:
z = [2*sqrt(2)]^(1/20) x cis[(1/20)(-pi/4)]

is that right?

Last edited:
wait, looking at my above post, i see where i have gone wrong, I'll try to correct it...

z = [2*sqrt(2)] x cis[(-pi/4)]
= [2*sqrt(2)] * [cos(-pi/4) + i sin(-pi/4)]
= [2*sqrt(2)] * [sqrt(2)/2 + i -sqrt(2)/2]
= 2 - 2i

so the answer is z^20 = 2 - 2i in standard form. is that right? (doesnt seem right, that's what i started with...)

Last edited:
I think you're confusing yourself and confusing me as well. Are you trying to find z^(20) or z^(-20)?

I was previously only highlighting that [tex](2 \sqrt{2})^{20}[/tex] is NOT equal to 2048.

Here's a good old wiki page to refresh your memory:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Moivre's_formula#Applications

Last edited:
Yes, now i am confused, but the question is right:

lets try again,

we are raising everything in z to the power of 20,

z^20 = [2*sqrt(2)]^20 x cis[20(-pi/4)] = [2*sqrt(2)]^20 x cis(-5pi)

(note how large the number [2*sqrt(2)]^20, there is no reasonable way to write it other than how i have just now, this seem odd...)

now,

[2*sqrt(2)]^20 x cis(-5pi) = [2*sqrt(2)]^20 x [cos(-5pi)+i sin(-5pi)]

is this correct?...

next,

[2*sqrt(2)]^20 x [cos(-5pi)+i sin(-5pi)] = [2*sqrt(2)]^20 x [1 + 0i]

is this correct?...

Last edited:
I agree with you up to:

z^20 = [2*sqrt(2)]^20 x [cos(-5pi)+i sin(-5pi)]

From here, it should be easy to see that cos(-5pi) = -1 and sin(-5pi) = 0. Problem solved. Note that [2*sqrt(2)]^20 = 2^30. Remember that one integer in our computer uses 4 bytes, that's 2^32.

mezarashi said:
I agree with you up to:

z^20 = [2*sqrt(2)]^20 x [cos(-5pi)+i sin(-5pi)]

From here, it should be easy to see that cos(-5pi) = -1 and sin(-5pi) = 0. Problem solved. Note that [2*sqrt(2)]^20 = 2^30. Remember that one integer in our computer uses 4 bytes, that's 2^32.

:cool: thanks.

linuxux said:

Homework Statement

Need to see if what I am doing is right, here is the problem:

so,

z= 4i/(-1+i) = 2-2i

z^20 = 2*sqrt(2) x cis[20(-pi/4)] = 2*sqrt(2) x cis(-5pi)
No, this should be (2*sqrt(2))^20 cis(-5pi)
[/quote] = 2*sqrt(2) x [cos(-5pi) + i sin(-5pi)]
= 2*sqrt(2) x [-1 + 0i]
= 2*sqrt(2) x [-1] = -2048
But now having consistently ignored the "20th" power you get 2048= 2^11? You have been asked repeatedly HOW you got that and have not answered.

(2*sqrt(2))^20= (2^(3/2))^20= 2^30= 1073741824.

so the final answer is only a real number of magnitude -2048+0i. is this correct? thanks.

1. What is an imaginary number?

An imaginary number is a complex number that is expressed as the product of a real number and the imaginary unit, denoted by the letter "i". The value of "i" is equal to the square root of -1. Imaginary numbers are commonly used in mathematics and physics to solve problems that involve the square root of a negative number.

2. How do you express an imaginary number in standard form?

To express an imaginary number in standard form, you simply write it as a combination of a real number and the imaginary unit "i". For example, the imaginary number 3i can be written as 0 + 3i in standard form.

3. What is the difference between standard form and scientific notation for imaginary numbers?

The standard form for an imaginary number is written as a combination of a real number and the imaginary unit "i". In scientific notation, an imaginary number is written as a real number multiplied by the imaginary unit "i" raised to a power. For example, the imaginary number 5i can be written as 5 x 10^0i in scientific notation.

4. Can you add or subtract imaginary numbers in standard form?

Yes, you can add or subtract imaginary numbers in standard form by simply combining the real parts and the imaginary parts separately. For example, (3 + 2i) + (6 + 4i) = (3 + 6) + (2i + 4i) = 9 + 6i.

5. How are imaginary numbers used in real life?

Imaginary numbers have many practical applications in fields such as mathematics, physics, and engineering. They are used to solve complex equations, model electrical circuits, and study wave phenomena. Imaginary numbers also have important applications in quantum mechanics and signal processing.