Solid state - crystallisation energy

In summary, the ionization energy of Li is 5.39eV and the electron affinity of F is 3.40eV. The lower bound for the modulus of the crystallization energy of Li+F- is therefore 2.93eV.
kel

Homework Statement

The ionisation energy of Li is 5.39eV and the electron affinity of F is 3.40eV. Give a lower bound for the modulus of the crystallisation energy of Li+F-

Homework Equations

Not entirely sure of the equation to use, but have this one in my notes:

U = - (q1q2/r(1,2)) . alpha . (1 / 4Pi E)

where E is the permeability of free space (I believe)

The Attempt at a Solution

I haven't really attempted this to any meaningful degree, the problem is that I don't know how I can work this out when I'm not given a value for r (presumably the radius between atoms or ions??) nor am I sure what values I'm supposed to use for the charges q1 and q2.

I don't expect anyone to solve this for me, but if you could clarify what you think I need to do to work this out I'd be greatful. My lecturer is great on giving derivations and formulas, but never seems to explain things very well.

Cheers
Kel

Physics news on Phys.org
The formula you gave is for the electric potential energy of two charged objects near each other. I'm looking through my various books, and I can't find reference to "modulus of crystalization energy." sounds like chemistry to me. I think you might want to repost in "advanced" or "other sciences" if no one helps you soon.

Perhaps the following link help. Is there any discussion in one's textbook on the modulus of crystallization energy and how is relates to ionization energy and electron affinity, since the problem states, "The ionisation energy of Li is 5.39eV and the electron affinity of F is 3.40eV"?

http://www.almazoptics.com/LiF.htm
lattice constant - 4.03 Å or 403 pm - IIRC, this is the spacing between successive F atoms, so take about half or 202 pm as the space between Li and F. Also, see the bottom link - is which give crystallization energy in kJ/mol rather than on a per atom or bond basis.

The sum of the covalent radii are close to half of the LiF lattice constant.
http://www.webelements.com/webelements/elements/text/Li/radii.html
covalent radius - 134 pm

http://www.webelements.com/webelements/elements/text/F/radii.html
covalent radius - 71 pm

http://www.science.uwaterloo.ca/~cchieh/cact/applychem/lattice.html

1. What is solid state - crystallisation energy?

Solid state - crystallisation energy is the amount of energy required to form a crystal lattice structure in a solid material. It is a measure of the stability and strength of the bonds between atoms in a solid state material.

2. How is solid state - crystallisation energy determined?

Solid state - crystallisation energy is typically determined through a process called calorimetry, which measures the heat released or absorbed during the formation of a crystal lattice structure. It can also be calculated using thermodynamic equations based on the bond energies of the atoms in the material.

3. What factors affect solid state - crystallisation energy?

The main factors that affect solid state - crystallisation energy include the types of atoms present in the material, the arrangement of these atoms in the crystal lattice, and the strength of the bonds between these atoms. Temperature and pressure can also have an impact on the energy required for crystallisation.

4. How is solid state - crystallisation energy important in material science?

Solid state - crystallisation energy is an important parameter in material science as it affects the physical and chemical properties of materials. It can influence the strength, stability, and reactivity of materials, and is crucial in the design and development of new materials for various applications.

5. Can solid state - crystallisation energy be modified or controlled?

Yes, solid state - crystallisation energy can be modified or controlled through various methods such as changing the composition of the material, altering the temperature and pressure conditions during crystallisation, and using additives or impurities to influence the crystal lattice structure. This can result in changes to the material's properties, making it useful for specific purposes.