Is your PC virus-free? Get it infected here

• Thread starter ZapperZ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    pc
In summary, people are not too bright when it comes to internet security and are often careless with the information they share online. This is one reason why some people might want to download a virus.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Like I said, some people simply should not be saved from themselves.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/internet/05/23/computer.virus.reut/index.html

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Are these the same people who buy used toothbrushes on eBay?

Just when I thought I had some faith left in humanity...:uhh:

:rofl: I nearly deleted this thread as spam without ever opening it when I saw the title, then noticed it was Zz posting it, so dared to peek.

Okay, I could understand some people clicking the ad accidentally, and depending on the amount of traffic on the site, I guess that could wind up being a lot (I've accidentally clicked on those annoying ads that float across the screen while trying to hit the "close" button to get rid of it, and the cat has helped click on a few too :grumpy:). But, yeah, people are not too bright when it comes to internet security. And then, once they've clicked on it and infected their computer, they're probably the same ones who forward all those email jokes as attachments too, and spread the virus to everyone in their address book too.

Moonbear said:
But, yeah, people are not too bright when it comes to internet security. And then, once they've clicked on it and infected their computer, they're probably the same ones who forward all those email jokes as attachments too, and spread the virus to everyone in their address book too.
That's one reason someone might want to download a virus. They don't like their friends very much.

Or want to test the security of their employer/school/university's system...

Its such a bizarre ad they probably misread it as 'free anti-virus', which is another one of those cute mental phenomena that we should give psychologist money to study:yuck:

I suppose its only one worse than:

WARNING! Your computer clock may be wrong. Click here to download our spyware rather than look at the clock and change it yourself

Moonbear said:
:rofl: I nearly deleted this thread as spam without ever opening it when I saw the title, then noticed it was Zz posting it, so dared to peek.
How can you make sure that it's not a kind of virus that sneaks to people's PC, get their PF(or any other forum) login information and then spam?:uhh:

and the cat has helped click on a few too :grumpy:).
:rofl:
hmmm...so they must work on ads that are eyecatching for pets!

matthyaouw said:
Or want to test the security of their employer/school/university's system...

I would be very tempted to do this. Sure, I'd be OK with putting 250 computers at risk just to satisfy my curiosity, why not?

I didn't say it was a sensible choice. A friend of mine once formatted a school computer because he was certain that they wouldn't have been stupid enough to not have something to stop him. Turns out they were that stupid. Him too.

1. How can I tell if my PC has a virus?

There are several signs that may indicate your PC has a virus, such as slow performance, frequent crashes, pop-up ads, and unusual error messages. You can also run a virus scan using anti-virus software to check for any malicious files.

2. Can my PC get infected by just visiting a website?

Yes, it is possible for your PC to get infected by simply visiting a website. Some websites may contain malicious code that can infect your computer without you knowing it. It is important to have a reliable anti-virus software and to be cautious of the websites you visit.

3. How can I prevent my PC from getting infected?

To prevent your PC from getting infected with a virus, you should always have a good anti-virus software installed and keep it updated. You should also be cautious of opening suspicious emails or downloading files from unknown sources. Additionally, regularly backing up your important files can help you recover in case of a virus attack.

4. What should I do if I think my PC is infected with a virus?

If you suspect that your PC is infected with a virus, you should immediately disconnect it from the internet to prevent further spread. Then, run a full scan using your anti-virus software and follow any recommended actions to remove the virus. If the issue persists, you may need to seek professional help.

5. Are there any free anti-virus software available?

Yes, there are several free anti-virus software available that can provide basic protection against viruses. However, they may not offer the same level of security and features as paid versions. It is important to research and choose a reputable anti-virus software that fits your needs and budget.