Can Anyone Solve This Difficult Double Series?

• Thread starter quadricode
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series
In summary, jostpuur has tried well over 30 cumulative hours to evaluate this double series, but he has not been able to get it to behave like a symmetrical binomial distribution. He has simplified the sum to make it easier to work with, but he has no proof that the sum of all positive terms equals the sum of all negative terms. He conjectures that the sum of the series is zero, but he has not been able to prove it. He has simplified the series to binomial coefficients and looked for nice relations, but he has not been able to find anything. Someone else has come up with a novel idea of turning the whole thing into binomial coefficients.
quadricode
I have tried well over 30 cumulative hours trying to evaluate this double series:

[tex]S=\sum_{k=0}^{m}\sum_{j=0}^{k+m-1}(-1)^{k}{m \choose k}\frac{[2(k+m)]!}{(k+m)!^{2}}\frac{(k-j+m)!^{2}}{(k-j+m)[2(k-j+m)]!}\frac{1}{2^{k+j+m+1}},[/tex]

for some integer [tex]m>0[/tex]. I have simplified (or maybe complicated) the sum to

[tex]S=\sum_{k=0}^{m}\sum_{j=0}^{k+m-1}(-1)^{k}\frac{m!}{k!(m-k)!}\frac{(k+m-1-j)!}{(k+m)!}\frac{(k+m-1/2)!}{(k+m-1/2-j)!}\frac{1}{2^{k-j+m+1}},[/tex]

which may be easier to work with (hopefully it is correct).

I conjecture that [tex]S=0[/tex] from calculating [tex]S[/tex] with 50 consecutive values of [tex]m[/tex]. And assuming Mathematica knows what it's doing, [tex]m[/tex] has to equal zero from earlier results; results preceding the derivation of this double sum.

I am wondering if anyone knows an easy way to evaluate this sum. :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm on it!

What do notations [n]! and (n+1/2)! mean?

jostpuur: [tex]z![/tex] reads "[tex]z[/tex] factorial." If [tex]z \in \mathbb{N}[/tex], then [tex]z!=z(z-1)(z-2)\cdots 2\cdot 1[/tex]. For [tex]z=0[/tex], then [tex]0!=1[/tex].

This idea can also be extended to all real numbers (with a restriction). If [tex]z \in \mathbb{R}[/tex], then [tex]z!=\Gamma(z+1)[/tex], where [tex]\Gamma(\cdot)[/tex] is the Gamma function. Notice that [tex]z[/tex] cannot be a non-positive integer here, because at those values, vertical asymptotes exist.

Everyone else: I have taken many approaches into evaluating this double series. For example, I have fiddled with hypergeometric functions a bit, tried proving that the sum of all positive terms equals the sum of all negative terms, tried manipulating the summand (heavily), made many substitutions...and I cannot get it. What makes this double series difficult is that [tex]|S|[/tex], for some integer [tex]m>0[/tex] somewhat behaves like a non-symmetrical binomial distribution. For those who are unfamiliar, it is a discrete statistical distribution whose points approximately lie on a translated, continuous normal distribution. But the problem is that these points are not symmetrical. In other words, there are no pairwise cancellations in my series, which I initially suspected. To be a little more specific, let

[tex]s(k) = \frac{(-1)^{k}}{2^{k+m+1}}{m \choose k}\frac{[2(k+m)]!}{(k+m)!^{2}}\sigma(k),[/tex]

where

[tex]\sigma (k)=\sum_{j=0}^{k+m-1}\frac{(k-j+m)!^{2}}{(k-j+m)[2(k-j+m)]!}\frac{1}{2^{j}}.[/tex]

There are no two integers [tex]0 \le k \le m[/tex] (call them [tex]k_1[/tex] and [tex]k_2[/tex]) which [tex]s(k_1)+s(k_2)=0[/tex]. I have no proof of this, but graphical and numerical evidence supports this.

This is a problem assuming my initial conjecture is correct: that

[tex]S = \sum^m_{k=0}s(k) = 0,[/tex]

which it seems to be for [tex]1 \le m \le 50[/tex].

I hope some of this information helped!

Last edited:
I know factorial, but does the [n] have some meaning, or is it just [n]=n?

The square brackets have no meaning (other than to group expressions); they are just used in the traditional fashion to avoid many parentheses. So, yes, [tex][z]=(z)=z[/tex].

Last edited:
It might help to view some of your expressions as binomials!?

[tex]\frac{[2(k+m)]!}{(k+m)!^{2}} = {2(k+m) \choose k+m} [/tex]

and

[tex]\frac{(k-j+m)!^{2}}{[2(k-j+m)]!} = {2(k-j+m) \choose k-j+m}^{-1}\;. [/tex]

So we have

[tex]S=\sum_{k=0}^{m}\sum_{j=0}^{m+k-1}(-1)^{k}{m \choose k} {2(m+k) \choose m+k} {2(m+k-j) \choose m+k-j}^{-1} \frac{1}{2^{m+k+j+1}\,(m+k-j)}\;,[/tex]

where I also commuted some [itex]k[/itex] and [itex]m[/itex]. Maybe someone knows some fancy binomal-relations...

I have a truly marvelous solution. I would type it up for you if the character limit of the post weren't so small... =[

Have you looked at:
S(n)-S(n-1)

(No clue if this will give you an easy answer.)

quidamschwarz said:
It might help to view some of your expressions as binomials!?

[tex]\frac{[2(k+m)]!}{(k+m)!^{2}} = {2(k+m) \choose k+m} [/tex]

and

[tex]\frac{(k-j+m)!^{2}}{[2(k-j+m)]!} = {2(k-j+m) \choose k-j+m}^{-1}\;. [/tex]

So we have

[tex]S=\sum_{k=0}^{m}\sum_{j=0}^{m+k-1}(-1)^{k}{m \choose k} {2(m+k) \choose m+k} {2(m+k-j) \choose m+k-j}^{-1} \frac{1}{2^{m+k+j+1}\,(m+k-j)}\;,[/tex]

where I also commuted some [itex]k[/itex] and [itex]m[/itex]. Maybe someone knows some fancy binomal-relations...

I have turned the whole thing...or at least most of the sum into binomial coefficients. And I looked for hours upon hours for some nice relations. But I could get to nothing. I even got an expression without any inverse (multiplicative) binomial coefficients (if I did my algebra correctly). Maybe someone else can come up with a novel idea, or use with binomial coefficients.

Quad, what you have there is a complete mess and I suspect will take anyone here quite awhile to prove a closed form answer (if it exists).

My question is the following. Where does this come from? It might be easier to go back a couple steps and see if you can run approximations before hand or use a different method a priori. If the solution really is something simple, its usually the case that you can spot it quite a bit earlier.

Last edited:
I was evaluating the integral

[tex]\frac{1}{2^n}\int^\infty_0 \mathrm{sech}^n\, x\, dx[/tex]

without any information (such as reduction formulae) beforehand. I needed an original idea for a project I am working on.

If anyone wants to help me personally, I don't mind giving my notes (which contains the derivation and all that of this sum, as well as my proof for the integral) for review, but I do not want them public at the moment.

I am a high school student, so my knowledge in math is quite low. I don't know very many advanced techniques for such problems.

Last edited:
Aww come on mate! Would have been much easier to start like THAT!

[tex]I= \frac{1}{2^n} \int^{\infty}_0 \frac{2^n}{(e^x + e^{-x})^n} dx = \int^{\infty}_0 (e^x + e^{-x})^{-n} dx[/tex].

Post number 4 tells me you don't mind dealing with hyper geometric functions, so here's the anti derivative I get:

[tex] \frac{(1+e^{2x})^n}{ n(e^x + e^{-x})^n} {_2F_1} \left( \frac{n}{2}, n ; \frac{n}{2} + 1 ; -e^{2x})[/tex]

In case you don't like the hypergeometric function, in series form:
[tex]_2F_1 (a, b; c; d) = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{ (a)_n (b)_n }{ (c)_n} \frac{d^n}{n!} = 1+ \frac{ab}{1!c}d + \frac{a(a+1)b(b+1)}{2!c(c+1)}d^2...[/tex]

where (x)_n is the Pochhammer Symbol;
[tex](x)_n = \frac{ \Gamma (x+n)}{\Gamma (x)} = x(x+1)(x+2)...(x+n-1)[/tex].

Have fun evaluating!

Last edited:
I have that antiderivative in my notes. But, I don't know how to derive it. Moreover, that is not the antiderivative I want. I found an equivalent form which might lead to something interesting. ;)

Last edited:
It can easily be derived be finding the taylor series of the integrand and integrating those term by term. Seeing as you are using the anti derivative for the purpose of evaluating an integral, any form should be sufficient should it not?

I suppose I will give it a try. I need to take a little break. :/

What is a Difficult Double Series?

A Difficult Double Series is a mathematical series that involves two separate sequences of numbers or terms that must be combined in order to find the overall pattern and solution. This type of series can be challenging because it requires the identification and manipulation of two different patterns simultaneously.

What are the key characteristics of a Difficult Double Series?

A Difficult Double Series typically has two separate sequences of numbers or terms that follow different patterns. These patterns may be arithmetic, geometric, or a combination of both. The series may also have a specific starting point or rule that must be followed to continue the pattern.

How do you solve a Difficult Double Series?

To solve a Difficult Double Series, you must first identify the two separate patterns in the series. This can be done by examining the differences or ratios between each term in each sequence. Once the patterns are identified, you can then combine them and continue the sequence to find the solution. It may also be helpful to create a table or diagram to visualize the patterns.

What strategies can be used to make solving a Difficult Double Series easier?

One helpful strategy is to break the series into smaller parts and solve each part separately. This can make the overall series less daunting and easier to manage. Another strategy is to look for clues in the series, such as specific rules or patterns that may help guide the solution. It can also be helpful to practice solving similar series and build a repertoire of problem-solving techniques.

Why are Difficult Double Series important in mathematics?

Difficult Double Series are important in mathematics because they require critical thinking and problem-solving skills. These types of series can also be found in real-world applications, such as in financial analysis or scientific experiments. Practicing with Difficult Double Series can help improve one's ability to identify and manipulate patterns, which is a valuable skill in many fields.