Tension in Rope Problem: Calculating Tension in a Ski Lift Tow Rope

In summary, the problem involves a skier being pulled up a snow-covered slope at a constant speed by a tow rope that is parallel to the ground. The ground slopes upward at an angle of 26.0 degrees, and ignoring friction, the tension in the tow rope can be calculated using the formula T = mgsin(theta). The answer should be 916.24 N.
physicsgirlie26
tension in rope problem. please help!

A skier of mass 65.0 is pulled up a snow-covered slope at constant speed by a tow rope that is parallel to the ground. The ground slopes upward at a constant angle of 26.0 above the horizontal and you can ignore friction.

Calculate the tension in the tow rope.

I know you use the F=ma and you also need to draw a fbd which i did. I calculated the answer to be 916.24 N but that isn't right. I used T= m2a2x+m2gsin(theta).

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming that there is no friction, since the skier is not accelerating, there is no unbalanced force. The normal force is balanced by the component of the gravitational fforce perpendicular to the incline, the pulling force of the rope is balanced by the component of the gravitational force parallel to the incline. The pulling force imparted on the skier by the rope is the tension in the rope. Hence, [tex] |T_{rope}|= |mg_{parallel}|[/tex], which is, [tex]|T_{rope}|=m|g|sin(\psi)[/tex], where psi is twenty six degrees in this situation, of course.

THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP. Your explanation helped me understand it better than what I knew.
:)

1. What is tension in a rope?

Tension in a rope is the force that is transmitted through the rope when it is pulled on from both ends. It is a fundamental concept in physics and can be explained by Newton's First Law of Motion, which states that an object will remain at rest or in motion with a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force.

2. How is tension calculated in a rope problem?

Tension in a rope can be calculated using the formula T = F * cosθ, where T is tension, F is the force applied to the rope, and θ is the angle between the rope and the direction of the applied force. This formula assumes that the rope is massless and inextensible.

3. What factors affect tension in a rope?

The tension in a rope is affected by several factors, including the force applied to the rope, the angle and direction of the applied force, and the length and thickness of the rope. Additionally, external forces such as gravity or friction may also affect the tension in a rope.

4. How does tension change in a rope when it is pulled at different angles?

When a rope is pulled at different angles, the tension in the rope will change. As the angle increases, the tension in the rope will also increase due to the component of the force acting in the direction of the rope. Conversely, as the angle decreases, the tension in the rope will decrease due to the decrease in the component of the force acting in the direction of the rope.

5. What are some real-life applications of tension in a rope problem?

Tension in a rope is a common concept that is used in various real-life applications. It is important in engineering and construction for determining the strength of structures and materials. It is also relevant in sports, such as rock climbing, where ropes are used for safety and support. Tension in a rope is also important in everyday tasks, such as tying knots and lifting heavy objects using pulleys.