Two 1.0-g beads are charged .?

• Thread starter mikebc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Charged
In summary, the conversation is about how to determine the magnitude of charge on two 1.0-g beads that are placed 5.0 cm apart and accelerating at 150 m/s2. The equation (q2=Fr2/k) is mentioned, but there is confusion on whether to use gravity or acceleration to find the force. The correct approach is to use acceleration, as stated in the question. In this case, electrostatic attraction is the only force acting, so Newton's 2nd law can be used to determine the force and then Coulomb's law can be applied to find the magnitude of charge. The person expresses gratitude for the help and quick response.
mikebc
Two 1.0-g beads are charged ...?

Hi, I have never posted before but have seen great help given to people who are confused. I would really appreciate help on this question if possible.

"Two 1.0-g beads are charged equally and placed 5.0 cm apart. When released,
they begin to accelerate at 150 m/s2. What is the magnitude of the charge on each
bead?"

I am pretty sure I know how to do this question with the equation; (q2=Fr2/k), but I am not too sure if I use gravity or acceleration to find the force. F=ma. I think I would use acceleration since it is given in the question.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Assume that the only force acting is electrostatic attraction (ignore gravity, friction, etc.). So just use Newton's 2nd law to figure out the force and then apply Coulomb's law, just as you stated.

Thank you very much for your help...and quick response! I understand.

What are the properties of the two 1.0-g beads?

The two 1.0-g beads have equal mass and are both charged particles.

What is the charge of each bead?

The charge of each bead can vary and is not specified in the question. It could be positive, negative, or neutral.

What is the distance between the two beads?

The distance between the two beads is not specified in the question and can vary. It could be any distance depending on the setup of the experiment.

How does the charge of the beads affect their behavior?

The charge of the beads will determine how they interact with each other. Like charges will repel each other, while opposite charges will attract.

What other factors could influence the behavior of the beads?

The behavior of the beads could also be influenced by the presence of other charged particles in the vicinity, the strength of the electric field, and the properties of the material the beads are made of.