An artillery shell is fired I don't know

• Thread starter Cowtipper
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Shell
In summary, the artillery shell explodes at x=7228.2 y=42.0 relative to it's firing point. The x component of the velocity is 172.1 m/s and the y component of the velocity is 245.7 m/s. The rocket's acceleration is -9.81 m/s/s.
Cowtipper

Homework Statement

An artillery shell is fired with an initial velocity of 300 m/s at 55.0 degrees above the horizontal. It explodes on a mountainside 42.0 seconds after firing. What are the x and y coordinates of the shell where it explodes, relative to it's firing point?

We know that it is fired at 300 m/s. It is launched at a 55 degree angle and it hits after 42 seconds of flight.

Homework Equations

See below.

The Attempt at a Solution

--x component--

velocity: 172.1 m/s
distance: 7228.2 meters
time: 42 seconds
acceleration: 0 m/s/s

velocity = 300cos55
distance = 172.1 m/s x 42 seconds
time = given
acceleration = always zero

--y component--

velocity: 245.7 m/s
distance: ? - This is what I'm trying to figure out.
time: 25.0 seconds
acceleration: -9.81 m/s/s

velocity = 300sin55
distance = ??
time = 245.7 meters / 9.81 m/s/s
acceleration = -9.81 m/s/s

I am confused. Thank you very much.

Physics news on Phys.org
d = v1*t + (1/2)at^2

apply this to the vertical direction.

"velocity: 245.7 m/s

velocity = 300sin55
distance = ??
acceleration = -9.81 m/s/s"

You show your time to be 25.0 seconds, but this isn't quite correct. Essentially, you've calculated the amount of time that it would take for the rocket to reach its maximum height (i.e. vertical velocity = 0). However your total time in the air is still 42 seconds. This means your rocket now continues downward, and due to your coordinate system, it's portrayed as a negative velocity. Thus, you can now use the formula given in the last post, with your a=-9.81 , t = 42s, and v(initial) = 245.7m/s. You should pop out with something around 1.6km, a reasonable answer considering the average (Rocky) mountain is around 2.5km.

Coto said:
"velocity: 245.7 m/s

velocity = 300sin55
distance = ??
acceleration = -9.81 m/s/s"

You show your time to be 25.0 seconds, but this isn't quite correct. Essentially, you've calculated the amount of time that it would take for the rocket to reach its maximum height (i.e. vertical velocity = 0). However your total time in the air is still 42 seconds. This means your rocket now continues downward, and due to your coordinate system, it's portrayed as a negative velocity. Thus, you can now use the formula given in the last post, with your a=-9.81 , t = 42s, and v(initial) = 245.7m/s. You should pop out with something around 1.6km, a reasonable answer considering the average (Rocky) mountain is around 2.5km.

Thanks!

1. What happens when an artillery shell is fired?

When an artillery shell is fired, it is propelled out of a cannon or gun using explosive charges. The shell travels through the air and impacts its target with a high velocity, causing damage or destruction.

2. How does an artillery shell work?

An artillery shell works by utilizing a combination of gunpowder and a firing mechanism to create a controlled explosion that propels the shell out of the cannon. The shell is designed to be aerodynamic and can also have a guidance system to increase accuracy.

3. What is the purpose of an artillery shell?

The purpose of an artillery shell is to cause damage or destruction to a specific target, such as enemy troops, vehicles, or fortifications. It is commonly used in warfare and can also be used in training exercises or for ceremonial purposes.

4. How fast does an artillery shell travel?

The speed of an artillery shell can vary depending on the type of shell and the gun used to fire it. On average, an artillery shell can travel at speeds of 500-1000 meters per second, or over 1100-2200 miles per hour.

5. What materials are used to make an artillery shell?

Artillery shells are typically made from a combination of metal, explosives, and other materials such as plastic or rubber. The exact materials used can vary depending on the type of shell and its intended purpose.