Solving Stereochemistry Confusion: Get Help Now!

In summary, the conversation is about determining the R/S configuration of a molecule using a Fischer Projection. The person manipulated the molecule so that hydrogen and cyanide were facing them, but in order to determine the correct configuration, hydrogen needed to be going away from them. They then confirmed that the correct representation of the Fischer Projection is the one with the horizontal plane coming towards them.
rocomath
Stereochemistry, PLZ HELP!

ok far left is the original problem

i manipulated it so that hydrogen and cyanide is facing me, but in order to determine R/S configuration. hydrogen must be going away from me, correct? so i flipped it so that it is not going away from me, and i determined it to be S.

but on paper, for correct representation of a Fischer Projection, i would draw the one that has my horizontal plane coming towards me, correct? (the one circled)

please confirm this for me! any advice is appreciated.

http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/1680/stereods5.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, that's it.

Thank you for reaching out for help with your stereochemistry confusion. It is great that you are taking the time to manipulate and understand the Fischer projection in order to determine the correct R/S configuration. Based on your description, it sounds like you have correctly determined the S configuration for this molecule. Remember, when looking at a Fischer projection, the horizontal plane represents bonds that are coming towards you, and the vertical plane represents bonds that are going away from you. Therefore, in order to determine the correct R/S configuration, you must flip the molecule so that the horizontal plane is going away from you.

In terms of drawing the correct representation of a Fischer projection on paper, you are correct that the horizontal plane should be coming towards you. This is the standard representation for Fischer projections. However, it is important to note that the R/S configuration is not affected by the orientation of the Fischer projection on paper. So as long as you have correctly determined the configuration, you can choose to draw the Fischer projection in whichever orientation is more convenient for you.

I hope this helps clear up any confusion you may have had. If you have any further questions, do not hesitate to seek help and clarification. Keep up the good work in understanding stereochemistry!

What is stereochemistry?

Stereochemistry is the study of the three-dimensional arrangement of atoms in molecules and how this affects their properties and reactions.

Why is stereochemistry important?

Stereochemistry is important because it helps us understand the structure and behavior of molecules, which is crucial in fields such as drug development, materials science, and environmental science.

What are some common sources of confusion in stereochemistry?

Some common sources of confusion in stereochemistry include understanding the difference between enantiomers and diastereomers, determining the R/S configuration of chiral molecules, and visualizing molecules in three dimensions.

How can I get help with solving stereochemistry problems?

You can get help with solving stereochemistry problems by consulting with a knowledgeable instructor or tutor, using online resources and practice problems, or attending study sessions or workshops focused on stereochemistry.

What are some tips for improving my understanding of stereochemistry?

Some tips for improving your understanding of stereochemistry include practicing with different types of molecules, using physical models or visualization software, and reviewing the fundamental principles and rules of stereochemistry regularly.