Barbell vs Dumbbell: Can I Lift More?

• Thread starter AFG34
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the difference in weight that can be lifted using dumbells and a barbell. It is noted that generally, a person can lift more weight with a barbell due to the stabilization of muscles, and this is due to the structural constraints of the motion. It is also mentioned that different ways of holding the weight can affect the muscles being worked and may impact the ability to lift the weight.
AFG34
If i can do 40 pounds with each hand with dumbells, then how come i can't do 80 pounds using both hands with a barbell?
I am sorry if this is in the wrong section, please feel free to move it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, when you say 40lbs, do you mean that you have 40lbs of weight hanging on the dumbells, or do you mean 40lbs including the dumbells? If you mean the former, then it may be that the barbell simply weighs more than the two dumbells put together.

Another issue may be the way you hold the barbell and dumbells. Lifting weight with different ways of holding it may work different segments of muscle or put more strain on a muscle than the other method of holding the weight. This can affect your ability to lift the weight as well.

interesting answer...thanx

Generally, people can curl more with a barbell than with dumbells because the bar stabilizes the muscles. The same goes for a bench press vs dumbell press.

It is a structural thing - the more constrained the motion is, the stronger the structure.

1. What is the difference between lifting a barbell and lifting a dumbbell?

The main difference between lifting a barbell and lifting a dumbbell is the type of weight used. A barbell is a long, straight bar with weights attached to both ends, while a dumbbell is a shorter bar with weights attached to each end. Barbell exercises typically involve both arms or legs working together, while dumbbell exercises can be done with one arm or leg at a time.

2. Can I lift more weight with a barbell or a dumbbell?

It depends on the exercise and your strength level. In general, most people can lift more weight with a barbell because of the stability and support it provides. However, some exercises may allow you to lift more weight with a dumbbell, especially if you have a weaker side or need to target specific muscles.

3. Which is better for building muscle, barbell or dumbbell?

Both barbells and dumbbells can be effective for building muscle. Barbells are often used for compound exercises, which work multiple muscle groups at once, while dumbbells can be useful for isolation exercises that target specific muscles. It's important to vary your workouts and use a combination of both to see the best results.

4. Are barbells or dumbbells better for beginners?

For beginners, it is recommended to start with lighter weights and focus on proper form and technique rather than the type of weight used. Both barbells and dumbbells can be used for beginners, but it may be easier to start with dumbbells as they allow for more control and targeting of specific muscles.

5. Can I use both barbells and dumbbells in my workout routine?

Absolutely! In fact, incorporating a mix of barbell and dumbbell exercises can provide a well-rounded and effective workout. Just be sure to listen to your body and use proper form to prevent injury.