8. When 15 grams of H2O decomposes how many grams of O2 are formed?

• Thread starter BittersweetLove
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Grams
In summary, when 15 grams of H2O decomposes, it produces 16 grams of O2. This can be calculated by dividing the mass of oxygen in one molecule of water (16 grams) by the total mass of a water molecule (18.016 grams) and then multiplying that ratio by the amount of water decomposed (15 grams). The units of the question do not affect the calculation as ratios do not have units.
BittersweetLove
[SOLVED] 8. When 15 grams of H2O decomposes how many grams of O2 are formed?

Here's the question:

When 15 grams of H2O decomposes how many grams of O2 are formed?

I have no idea how to even start that problem...I guess I missed that part in Chem class. *sighs*

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to ratio the weights of the constituent parts of water. How much does a hydrogen atom weigh? How much does an oxygen atom weigh?

russ_watters said:
You need to ratio the weights of the constituent parts of water. How much does a hydrogen atom weigh? How much does an oxygen atom weigh?

Adding to this, the teacher will probably have the question on a test but it will be in pounds or ounces. Most people dick around with converting from grams to ounces, because they forget that ratios do not have units. Divide the units you know, which are probably grams, then apply that ratio to whatever units the question has. It could be grams, it could be pounds, it could be anything.

Each (1.008 + 1.008 + 16.00) mass of water contains (16.00) mass of oxygen. Now you have enough information for the ratio and the calculation for how much oxygen by mass is simple.

Thanks everyone...I think I've got in now. I really appreciate you help. 8)

1. How does the decomposition of water occur?

The decomposition of water occurs through a chemical reaction where water (H2O) is broken down into its component elements, hydrogen gas (H2) and oxygen gas (O2).

2. What factors can affect the rate of water decomposition?

The rate of water decomposition can be affected by temperature, presence of catalysts, and concentration of reactants.

3. Is the decomposition of water an exothermic or endothermic reaction?

The decomposition of water is an endothermic reaction, meaning it requires energy to break the bonds between the hydrogen and oxygen atoms.

4. How can the amount of oxygen gas formed be determined?

The amount of oxygen gas formed can be determined through stoichiometric calculations, using the molar ratios between water and oxygen in the chemical equation for the decomposition reaction.

5. What are some practical applications of water decomposition?

Water decomposition is used in industries such as hydrogen production and fuel cells. It is also a key process in photosynthesis, where plants use energy from sunlight to decompose water and produce oxygen for the Earth's atmosphere.