A Resistor and a Capacitor in a Series AC Circuit

In summary: So, in this situation, we'd expect the current through the resistor to be:##I = R*V_{co}##and the current through the other components would be:##I = V_{co}*R+I_{co}*(V_{co}+V_{rc})##The final current in the circuit would be:##I = V_{co}*R+I_{co}*(V_{co}+V_{rc})##In summary, the current through the capacitor is given by: V_c(t) = V_c_0 sin(wt).
sskakam

Homework Statement

A resistor with resistance R and a capacitor with capacitance C are connected in series to an AC voltage source. The time-dependent voltage across the capacitor is given by V_c(t) = V_c_0 sin(wt).

A) What is the amplitude I_0 of the total current I(t) in the circuit?

B and C will be revealed after A, so I may return after I get A.

Homework Equations

i = I cos(wt)
Vc = I/(wt)
V=IR

The Attempt at a Solution

V_c(t) = I(t)*R = (V_c_0)sin(wt)
Icos(wt)=((V_c_0)sin(wt))/R
I=((V_c_0)/R)tan(wt)

Physics news on Phys.org
The magnitude of the current through a reactive component (inductor or capacitor) is given by Ohm's law using the component's reactance in place of resistance. Begin by determining the reactance of the capacitor:

##X_C = \frac{1}{ωC}##

Next, we are given the expression for the voltage across the capacitor as a sinewave of magnitude ##V_{co}##. So the magnitude of the current will be:

##I = \frac{V_{co}}{X_C} = V_{co} ω C##

Another approach is to start with the relationship between current and voltage for a capacitor:

## I = C \frac{dv}{dt}##

We are given ##V_c(t) = V_{co} sin(ω t)## so that

##I(t) = C \frac{d}{dt}(V_{co} sin(ω t)) = V_{co}ωC cos(ω t) ##

and the magnitude can be extracted from the expression for the current.

@gneill .. there is a resistor in the circuit too. So we can invoke the concept of impedance. I don't know LaTeX that well and I believe you can do it better anyway.

CrazyNinja said:
@gneill .. there is a resistor in the circuit too. So we can invoke the concept of impedance. I don't know LaTeX that well and I believe you can do it better anyway.
Yes, an impedance approach would work very well. I avoided the use of impedance because the OP seemed to be using introductory level concepts, working with the time domain functions of voltage and current. I presumed he was just being introduced to reactance and working with that. Feel free to add your version.

We are specifically given the voltage across the capacitor, so that gives us the current through the capacitor regardless of what else is in the circuit. Since it's a series circuit, the rest of the components will have the same current. The situation is like this:
upload_2016-2-7_2-57-54.png

We aren't given the source voltage, but no doubt it'll have a phase angle associated with it if we're taking the capacitor signal as the reference!

Likes gracy and CrazyNinja

1. What is a series AC circuit?

A series AC circuit is a circuit that contains multiple electronic components connected in a single loop, where the current flows through each component in succession. This type of circuit is commonly used in household appliances, power distribution systems, and electronic devices.

2. What is a resistor?

A resistor is an electrical component that limits or controls the flow of current in a circuit. It is typically made of a material that resists the flow of electrons, causing a drop in voltage across the component. Resistors are commonly used to regulate the amount of current flowing through a circuit and to protect other components from excessive current.

3. What is a capacitor?

A capacitor is an electronic component that stores electrical charge. It is made of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material, also known as a dielectric. When a voltage is applied to the capacitor, one plate becomes positively charged and the other becomes negatively charged, creating an electric field between the plates. Capacitors are commonly used in circuits to store and release energy, filter out unwanted frequencies, and block DC currents.

4. How do resistors and capacitors behave in a series AC circuit?

In a series AC circuit, resistors and capacitors have different effects on the flow of current. Resistors cause a voltage drop in the circuit, reducing the amplitude of the AC signal. Capacitors, on the other hand, can either block or allow the flow of AC current, depending on the frequency of the signal. At low frequencies, capacitors act as open circuits, while at high frequencies, they act as short circuits.

5. Why are resistors and capacitors commonly used together in a series AC circuit?

Resistors and capacitors are commonly used together in a series AC circuit because they have complementary properties that can be utilized to control the flow of current and voltage in a circuit. By adjusting the values of resistors and capacitors, engineers can design circuits to perform specific functions, such as filtering out unwanted frequencies, converting AC to DC, and controlling the amplitude of a signal.