What type of water pump is typically used in fountains?

In summary: LewisCEO Pedrollopumps.comIn summary, a water feature type fountain can use either a submersible pump or a self priming pump. Centrifugal pumps are usually used for simpler features while positive displacement pumps are more commonly used in ponds and features with fish.
yoran
Hello,

For the course "System Theory" I'm following, I have to identify systems in every day life and explain some of its properties (input, output, internal variables, internal parameters,...). I thought a fountain was a good idea for such a system. The problem is I don't know what water pumps are typically used in fountains. I've found a list of different "technologies" for pumps but I need to know which one is used for fountains (or any "water-lifting" device).
I hope someone can help me.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
There are two types of pumps:
*Centrifugal Pumps (Axial flow pumps, Radial flow pumps and combination off this two)
*Positive displacement pumps
You can use both types for the fountains.

Fountain pumps

Hi, I am assuming you mean a water feature type fountain? Not a drinking water fountain as one may find in a park or office/factory rest area?

Water feature fountains have one of two types of pumps installed in general. They both operate using the centrifugal principle which is simply a spinning impeller (disk with vanes either open or closed on both sides. The impeller "throws" the fluid from centre of the impeller throat to the outside diameter, this centrifugal force and the resultant flow/pressure generated will determine the power required by the pump to achieve your desired result in terms of flow and head. Our site us currently building but if you go to the front page and navigate to where it says how to select a pump, I think we have soe useful information there. As I said the site is building so we will be adding information as we grow it. Your comments will be greatly appreciated so we can generate quality content.

For a fountain one would use either a submersible pump for a simple feature, or a self priming or dry well type installation for a pond or feature that has fish and other aquatic life. The reason you would not use a submersible in a feature with live organisms is because the submersible will generally have an oil chamber to lubricate the seals. If a seal pops you will have oil on the water surface which will suffocate all life.

Our site is http://www.pedrollopumps.com should you wish to check it out.

Here is a more defined link http://www.pedrollopumps.com/images/howtoreadapumpcurve.html

I hope this helps you in some way. Please feel free to request further information or ask other questions in this regard.

Evan Lewis
CEO Pedrollopumps.com

I am 99% positive that they will utilize a centrif pump set up. Centrifs will give you more flow for the size than you will get from a P.D. However, with centrifs, you have to be careful to match your pump to your particular system head requirements. In cases like this, the system demands and requirements will usually never change. P.D.s allow you more flexibility in that regard and can deliver higher pressures. It's always a trade off.

Thanks a lot for all your replies! I looked up some info about centrifugal pumps and it definitely helped me with my homework assignement. Thanks a lot guys!

NO Problem Hope the info helped

Hope you have found enough info.
Regards
Evan

1. What is a water pump used in fountains?

A water pump used in fountains is a mechanical device that helps to circulate water in a fountain. It is responsible for creating the movement and flow of water, which adds to the aesthetic appeal of a fountain.

2. How does a water pump work in a fountain?

A water pump works in a fountain by using an electric motor to draw water from a reservoir and push it through a series of pipes or tubes. The water is then released through a nozzle or spout, creating the desired water display.

3. What types of water pumps are used in fountains?

There are several types of water pumps used in fountains, including submersible pumps, external pumps, and solar-powered pumps. The type of pump used depends on the size and design of the fountain, as well as the flow rate and power source required.

4. How do you maintain a water pump in a fountain?

To maintain a water pump in a fountain, it is important to regularly clean and inspect the pump for any debris or clogs. It is also recommended to check the pump's water levels and make sure it is running smoothly. Additionally, following the manufacturer's instructions for maintenance and replacing worn parts can help prolong the life of the pump.

5. Can a water pump be used in all types of fountains?

Yes, a water pump can be used in various types of fountains, including large outdoor fountains, small tabletop fountains, and even indoor fountains. However, the size and flow rate of the pump should be chosen based on the specific requirements and design of the fountain to ensure proper functioning.