Finding inverse of non-linear transformation

In summary, the inverse of the nonlinear transformation from R^2 to R^2 given by u=3y and v=3x^7-6y is x= ((v+2u)/3)^(1/7) and y= u/3. This is determined by solving for x and y in terms of u and v, using the equations u=3y and v=3x^7-6y, and then verifying that applying this inverse transformation on the output of the original transformation results in the original input (x,y).
snoggerT
Find the inverse of the (nonlinear) transformation from R^2 to R^2 given by

u=3y
v=3x^7-6y

x=?
y=?

The Attempt at a Solution

- I'm really not sure what to do on this problem. We haven't seen any problems even similar to it in class, so I'm looking for help on it.

Physics news on Phys.org
snoggerT said:
Find the inverse of the (nonlinear) transformation from R^2 to R^2 given by

u=3y
v=3x^7-6y

So y= u/3. Put that into the second equation: v= 3x^7- 6(u/3)= 3x^7- 2u.
Solve that for x.

x=?
y=?

The Attempt at a Solution

- I'm really not sure what to do on this problem. We haven't seen any problems even similar to it in class, so I'm looking for help on it.

well, that was much easier than I thought it would be. Can you explain to me why that is the inverse?

What do you think an inverse is? You had u= 3y, v= 3x^7- 6y and you said the answer must be in the form x=, y= . I reduce the two equation to that form, solving for x and y.

Perhaps more specifically, if you start with (x, y) and apply the original tranform, you get (3y, 3x^7 - 6y). Now what happens if you apply the tranformation x= ((v+2u)/3)^(1/7, y= u/3? Since u= 3y, the second gives y= (3y)/3= y immediately. Since u= 3y and v= 3x^7- 6y, the x= ((3x^7- 6y+ 2(3y))/3)^(1/7)= ((3x^7/3)^(1/7)= (x^7)^(1/7)= x.
That's what an inverse is supposed to do.

1. What is the purpose of finding the inverse of a non-linear transformation?

The purpose of finding the inverse of a non-linear transformation is to be able to reverse the effects of the original transformation. This can be useful in various mathematical and scientific applications, such as solving equations or analyzing data.

2. How is the inverse of a non-linear transformation calculated?

The inverse of a non-linear transformation is typically calculated using algebraic techniques, such as solving for the inverse function or using a matrix inversion algorithm. The specific method used will depend on the specific transformation and its mathematical properties.

3. Can all non-linear transformations have an inverse?

No, not all non-linear transformations have an inverse. For a transformation to have an inverse, it must be one-to-one and onto, meaning that each input has a unique output and every possible output has a corresponding input. If these conditions are not met, the transformation does not have an inverse.

4. How does finding the inverse of a non-linear transformation help in data analysis?

By finding the inverse of a non-linear transformation, we can better understand the relationship between two variables in a dataset. This can help in identifying patterns, making predictions, and analyzing the overall behavior of the data.

5. Are there any limitations to finding the inverse of a non-linear transformation?

Yes, there are some limitations to finding the inverse of a non-linear transformation. For example, some transformations may have an inverse, but it may not be easily calculable. Additionally, if the original transformation is not well-defined or has complex behaviors, the inverse may not accurately represent the original data.