Why do chili peppers cause a burning sensation?

• Thread starter enigma
  • Start date
In summary: Having said that, I've never heard of a human actually dying from chili ingestion, though I can't say the same for animals.In summary, chili peppers can provide a burning sensation due to the presence of Capsaicin. The burning sensation can be relieved by drinking water or eating bland foods.
enigma
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
After having the unfortunate experience of biting into a chili masquerading as basil in my Ka-Pow Chicken, and suffering through the following 5 minutes while I proceeded do drink at least a gallon and a half of water (I'm going to be up all night), a question came to me:

What is it about chili's that provide the burning sensation?

Is it an acid? microscopic particles (like poison ivy)? chemical agent? nerve agent?

Anybody know?

Biology news on Phys.org
http://mexicanfood.about.com/library/blchiliesunmasked.htm

Also, the reason we like them is that we get high on our own pain killers - much like nail biting and other sightly painful nervous habbits.

Posted by enigma...
I proceeded do drink at least a gallon and a half of water

Drinking water doesn't do a lot to quench the burn. They say eating something bland such as white rice or bread can help much faster to cut the burning sensation.

They told me to use sugar water.

Hot, you say?
Try these babies sometime, they are arguable the hottest of them all;

http://www.goodearthliveherbs.com/habanero-hot-pepper-live-vegetable-plants/

They can burn going down, growing through, and going out again a day or two later, Mmmm, I love them!

Last edited by a moderator:
Would anybody care to explain what a Scoville is?

Originally posted by Lonewolf
Would anybody care to explain what a Scoville is?
http://easyweb.easynet.co.uk/~gcaselton/chile/scoville.html

It was in 1912 whilst working for the Parke Davis pharmaceutical company that one of their chemists, Wilbur Scoville, developed a method to measure the heat level of a chile pepper. This test is named after him, it's called the Scoville Organoleptic Test, and it's a dilution-taste procedure. In the original test, Scoville blended pure ground chiles with a sugar-water solution and a panel of testers then sipped the concoctions, in increasingly diluted concentrations, until they reached the point at which the liquid no longer burned the mouth. A number was then assigned to each chile based on how much it needed to be diluted before you could taste no heat.

The pungency of chile peppers is measured in multiples of 100 units, from the bell pepper at zero Scoville units to the incendiary Habanero at 300,000 Scoville units! One part of chile "heat" per 1,000,000 drops of water rates as only 1.5 Scoville Units. The substance that makes a chile so hot (and therefore so enjoyable to Chile-Heads !), is Capsaicin. Pure Capsaicin rates over 15,000,000 Scoville Units !

Check out what that site also says about my little friend;

The "Red Savina" Habanero has been tested
at over 577,000 Scoville units!

This is so much hotter than the normal Habanero chile pepper, that the "Guinness Book of Records" have accepted it as "the hottest chile pepper" in the world. Even now, breeders are attempting to beat this. The new Francisca Habanero is said to be hotter still!

Also note that sugar is used to dilute the potency, as had been handed down to me through local 'wisdom'

Last edited by a moderator:
You realize that parrots can eat as many chillies as they want since they don't have the receptor that recognizes that it is hot..

And milk is the best thing to drink since the fats and proteins protect the receptor and wash the harmfull molecule away.

Originally posted by Monique
You realize that parrots can eat as many chillies as they want since they don't have the receptor that recognizes that it is hot..

And milk is the best thing to drink since the fats and proteins protect the receptor and wash the harmfull molecule away.
What about the parrot getting a tummy ache? If I can feel it burn clear through my bowels then there must be a few sensors in locations other than my mouth.

Yeah, I forgot about drinking milk. Eventually you get used to eating the 'hot stuff' and make fewer mistakes that can force you to run for help.

What is "Oh, why do you burn me so?"

"Oh, why do you burn me so?" is a common phrase used to express extreme discomfort or pain caused by a heat source.

Why do we feel pain when we touch something hot?

Our skin has specialized nerve endings called nociceptors that detect harmful stimuli, including extreme temperatures. When these receptors are triggered by heat, they send a signal to our brain that interprets it as pain.

Why does the intensity of pain vary when touching something hot?

The intensity of pain experienced when touching something hot can vary depending on the temperature, duration of contact, and individual pain tolerance. Additionally, the location and thickness of the skin can also affect the intensity of pain.

What happens to our skin when we get burned?

When our skin comes into contact with a hot object, it causes a thermal burn. This means that the heat energy from the object is transferred to our skin, resulting in damage to skin cells and tissue. Depending on the severity of the burn, it can cause blisters, redness, and in severe cases, damage to deeper layers of skin and nerves.

How can we protect ourselves from getting burned?

To prevent burns, it is important to be aware of potential heat sources and use caution when handling them. This includes wearing protective gear when working with hot objects, testing the temperature of objects before touching them, and avoiding prolonged exposure to extreme temperatures. In case of a burn, immediately run cool water over the affected area and seek medical attention if necessary.