Find c for Random Variable: E(X), E(X^2), E(1/X) & Var(X)

In summary: Otherwise you have the right idea. c doesn't have to equal infinity. what is the sum of n consecutive integers?The sum of the first n positive integers is n.
Firepanda
a discrete random variable has range space {1, 2, ..., n} and satisfies P(X=j) = j/c for some number c. Find c, and then find E(X), E(X^2), E(1/X) and Var(X).

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
What is your solution?

You have the probability mass function (pmf). You can determine the constant c.

The expectations are obtained directly by definition...

maverick280857 said:
What is your solution?

You have the probability mass function (pmf). You can determine the constant c.

The expectations are obtained directly by definition...

Thanks for your reply.

Sorry I should have stated before that I don't know where to start on this.

I just looked up on pmf, and I have no examples on a question like this in my notes.

The 'j' confuses me in the question as I don't see how it relates to anything else, so finding c is tricky for me.

Thanks

Firepanda said:
Sorry I should have stated before that I don't know where to start on this.

Well, aren't there a few conditions that all valid pmf's are required to satisfy? It would probably be a good idea to review these.

Firepanda said:
The 'j' confuses me in the question as I don't see how it relates to anything else, so finding c is tricky for me.

j is simply a dummy variable. Just shorthand for saying P(X=1) = 1/c, P(X=2) = 2/c, ..., P(X=n) = n/c.

Perhaps this thread should be moved to the homework help section?

The conditions I know of pmf are that the total sum of the probabilities from -infinity to infinity is 1, and the probabilities can only take values between 0 and 1.

So do I have to find a j/c which has a sum of the series from -infinity to infinity equal to 1?

Sorry I'm really confused..

ok so I have so far:

1/c + 2/c + 3/c ... +n/c = 1

1 + 2 + 3 +.. + n = c

c = infinity?

a pmf is for a discrete random variable.

Do you know what the definition of a discrete RV is?

Otherwise you have the right idea. c doesn't have to equal infinity. what is the sum of n consecutive integers?

Firepanda said:
The conditions I know of pmf are that the total sum of the probabilities from -infinity to infinity is 1, and the probabilities can only take values between 0 and 1.

So do I have to find a j/c which has a sum of the series from -infinity to infinity equal to 1?
No, only 1 to n, the number over which your probability distribution is defined.

Sorry I'm really confused..

ok so I have so far:

1/c + 2/c + 3/c ... +n/c = 1

1 + 2 + 3 +.. + n = c

c = infinity?
Why should it be? n is a fixed finite number, not "infinity". Do you know the formula for the sum of the first n positive integers?

What is the expected value (E) of a random variable X?

The expected value of a random variable X is the average value that the variable takes on over many trials or observations. It is calculated by summing the products of each outcome of X and its corresponding probability.

What is E(X^2) for a random variable X?

E(X^2) is the expected value of the squared values of X. It is calculated by summing the products of each squared outcome of X and its corresponding probability.

How do you find the constant (c) for E(1/X) for a random variable X?

To find the constant (c) for E(1/X), you can use the formula E(1/X) = 1/c, where c is the constant. This can also be written as E(X^-1) = 1/c. You can then solve for c by setting the expected value equal to its given value and solving for c.

What is the variance (Var) of a random variable X?

The variance of a random variable X is a measure of how much the values of X vary from the expected value. It is calculated by finding the expected value of (X-E(X))^2, where E(X) is the expected value of X.

How do you find c for a random variable X given its expected value and variance?

To find c for a random variable X, you can use the formula c = E(X)/Var(X), where E(X) is the expected value of X and Var(X) is the variance of X. This formula can also be written as c = E(X)/E[(X-E(X))^2]. You can then plug in the values for E(X) and Var(X) to solve for c.