What is the Integral of 1/(x^4+1) from 0 to b?

• Thread starter dejet
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrate
In summary, the given equation is an integration problem involving the function f = 1/(x^4+1) with a lower limit of 0 and an upper limit of infinity. The attempt at a solution involves using f = 1/(x^2.y^2+1) and solving using partial fractions and completing the square. The final solution is 1/4*pi*2^(1/2).
dejet

Homework Statement

i do not know where to start with this one can anyone point me where to go please?

[tex]\int \frac{1}{x^{4}+1}[/tex]

lower limit = 0 upper = infinity

Homework Equations

like i said i don't know where to go with this one.
i mean i know I am going to have to do integrate from 0 to b but i don't know where to start here.

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
It seems really messy if you integrate using substitutions ... etc.

I would recommend using f = 1/(x^2.y^2+1)

some MATLAB mess

>> f = 1/(x^4+1)

f =

1/(x^4+1)

>> int(f,x,0,inf)

ans =

1/4*pi*2^(1/2)

>> int(f,x)

ans =

1/8*2^(1/2)*log((x^2+x*2^(1/2)+1)/(x^2-x*2^(1/2)+1))+1/4*2^(1/2)*atan(x*2^(1/2)+1)+1/4*2^(1/2)*atan(x*2^(1/2)-1)

o wait i think i need to compare i think i have it ill repost. thanks rootX seeing your answer made me see that we have yet to really learn that, so it can't be. thanks again. ill post with what i get to see if I am right.

Here some hints to get you going. You'll have to decompose it to partial fractions, complete a square, and then use the derivative for arctan f(x). It's quite tedious, but most certainly doable.

http://www.4nw.net/get-6-2008-6x9cp3w5.JPG[/URL]
cont.
http://www.4nw.net/get-6-2008-syhlk7fm.JPG[/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:

What does it mean to "Integrate from 0 to b"?

Integrating from 0 to b refers to finding the area under a curve from the x-axis to the point b on the x-axis. It is a mathematical process that involves calculating the definite integral of a function over a specific interval.

Why is it important to integrate from 0 to b?

Integrating from 0 to b allows us to calculate the total change in a quantity over a specific interval. This is useful in many scientific fields, including physics, chemistry, and biology, where we need to know the total amount of a substance or the total force acting on an object.

What is the difference between integrating from 0 to b and integrating from a to b?

Integrating from 0 to b calculates the total change in a quantity starting from the origin (0) to a specific point on the x-axis (b). Integrating from a to b calculates the total change in a quantity starting from a specific point on the x-axis (a) to another specific point on the x-axis (b).

How do you calculate the definite integral from 0 to b?

To calculate the definite integral from 0 to b, you need to first find the indefinite integral of the function. Then, substitute the upper limit (b) into the indefinite integral and subtract the result from the same integral with the lower limit (0) substituted. The difference between these two values is the definite integral from 0 to b.

What are some real-world applications of integrating from 0 to b?

Integrating from 0 to b is used in many fields of science and engineering to solve problems related to finding the total change in a quantity. For example, it is used in physics to calculate the work done by a force, in chemistry to calculate the total amount of a substance in a reaction, and in economics to calculate the total revenue or profit over a specific time period.