Basketball Projectile Motion Problem

In summary, the problem is asking for the initial speed of a basketball thrown at a 40.0 degree angle with the horizontal from a distance of 10.0 m from a 3.05 m high basket. Using the equations xf = xi + vit + 1/2at^2 and yf = yi + vit + 1/2at^2, a quadratic equation can be derived to solve for the initial speed. However, the x component of speed is 0, so the equation can be simplified to only include the y component. The x and y components of speed can be combined using vector addition. To format equations, you can use TEX or the coding for superscript and subscript.
Jeff231

Homework Statement

A basketball player who is 2.00[m] tall is standing on the floor 10.0 [m] from the basket, as in the figure. If he shoots the ball at 40.0degrees angle with the horizontal, at what initial speed must he throw so that it goes through the hoob without striking the backboard? The basket height is 3.05[m].

physicsc.jpg

Homework Equations

xf = xi + vit + 1/2at^2
yf= yi +vit + 1/2at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the yf equation to come up with an equation that has vi and t as the variables. Then I used the xf equation and solved for t. Then I plugged in that t into the yf equation. It comes out to a pretty large quadratic equation:

-4.9 (10/vi(sin40))^2 + (vi(cos40))(10/vi(sin40)) - 1.05 = 0

Now I'm having trouble finding vi. I'm pretty sure I did everything right, but can someone help me figure out how to solve for vi?

Also, how do you make it so the quations come up looking normal instead of typing it here, it's formatted different? Is that a website you type it in and link here? Thanks!

-Jeff

Physics news on Phys.org
Jeff231 said:

Homework Statement

A basketball player who is 2.00[m] tall is standing on the floor 10.0 [m] from the basket, as in the figure. If he shoots the ball at 40.0degrees angle with the horizontal, at what initial speed must he throw so that it goes through the hoob without striking the backboard? The basket height is 3.05[m].

Homework Equations

xf = xi + vit + 1/2at2
yf = yi + vit + 1/2at2

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the yf equation to come up with an equation that has vi and t as the variables. Then I used the xf equation and solved for t. Then I plugged in that t into the yf equation. It comes out to a pretty large quadratic equation:

-4.9 (10/vi(sin40))^2 + (vi(cos40))(10/vi(sin40)) - 1.05 = 0

Now I'm having trouble finding vi. I'm pretty sure I did everything right, but can someone help me figure out how to solve for vi?

Also, how do you make it so the quations come up looking normal instead of typing it here, it's formatted different? Is that a website you type it in and link here? Thanks!

-Jeff

First of all I hope you didn't show any acceleration in the x direction. I haven't checked what you did, but that term is 0 for Vx.

As to figuring combined x,y speed remember that the x and y components of speed add like vectors.

As to the superscripting and subscripting, I modified your Relevant Equations to show you how to code it. You can also use TEX (LaTex) but that is a more complicated tutorial. If you open up some of the posts with formulas, if you can make a 10 m jumpshot, that won't be so hard.

Last edited:

Dear Jeff,

Your approach to solving this problem is correct. However, there are a few steps missing in your solution that may be causing difficulty in finding the initial velocity (vi). Let me guide you through the steps to find the solution.

Step 1: Drawing a diagram
It is always helpful to draw a diagram of the problem to visualize the situation. In this case, you can draw a diagram showing the basketball player standing 10.0m away from the basket, with an angle of 40 degrees and a height of 2.00m.

Step 2: Identifying the known and unknown variables
From the given information, we can identify the following variables:
- Initial vertical position (yi) = 2.00m
- Final vertical position (yf) = 3.05m
- Initial horizontal position (xi) = 10.0m
- Angle with the horizontal (θ) = 40 degrees
- Acceleration due to gravity (a) = -9.8m/s^2 (negative sign indicates downward direction)
- Initial velocity (vi) = unknown
- Time taken (t) = unknown

Step 3: Writing the equations
Using the equations of motion, we can write the following equations:
xf = xi + vit + 1/2at^2
yf = yi + vit + 1/2at^2

Step 4: Solving for t
Since we are trying to find the initial velocity (vi), we need to eliminate the variable t. To do this, we can solve for t in the xf equation and substitute it into the yf equation. The xf equation becomes:
t = (xf - xi) / (vi cos θ)
Substituting this value of t into the yf equation, we get:
yf = yi + (vi sin θ)(xf - xi) / (vi cos θ) + 1/2a((xf - xi) / (vi cos θ))^2

Step 5: Simplifying the equation
Now, we can simplify the equation by multiplying both sides by (vi cos θ) and rearranging terms:
0 = 1/2a(vi cos θ)^2 - (vi sin θ)(xf - xi) + (yf - yi)(vi cos θ)

Step 6: Solving for vi
This equation is now in the form

1. What is projectile motion and how does it relate to basketball?

Projectile motion is the curved path that an object follows when it is thrown or launched into the air. In basketball, the ball is launched into the air when it is shot, and it follows a parabolic trajectory due to the force of gravity acting on it.

2. How does the angle of release affect the trajectory of the basketball?

The angle of release is the angle at which the ball is launched into the air. The steeper the angle, the higher the ball will go and the shorter the distance it will travel. On the other hand, a lower angle of release will result in a flatter trajectory with a longer distance traveled.

3. What factors affect the horizontal and vertical components of the basketball's motion?

The horizontal and vertical components of a basketball's motion are affected by the initial velocity, angle of release, and the force of gravity. The initial velocity determines the speed at which the ball is launched, while the angle of release determines the direction of the motion. The force of gravity acts in a downward direction and affects the vertical component of the ball's motion.

4. How do you calculate the time of flight and maximum height of the basketball?

The time of flight can be calculated using the formula t = 2u sinθ/g, where u is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of release, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. The maximum height can be calculated using the formula h = u^2 sin^2θ/2g.

5. How can understanding projectile motion improve a player's shooting skills?

Understanding projectile motion can help a player improve their shooting skills by allowing them to adjust their angle of release and initial velocity to get the desired trajectory and distance for their shot. It can also help players understand how to compensate for the force of gravity and other factors that may affect their shot.