9yr old 7th grader needs help

• Thread starter LisaandCaiti
  • Start date
In summary, The person is looking for help with a problem in their science book, specifically a question about calculating mass on a skateboard. They are struggling to get the same answer as the book and are asking for clarification on the correct method. They provide their own solution and ask for confirmation.
LisaandCaiti
I have a problem in my science book,we think the teachers edition may have a mistake? Can someone look at my problem and explain how to find the answer? I am home schooled, and like mom said, 7th grade was too many years ago!

Calculate mass: You push yourself on a skateboard with a force of 30N and accelerate at 0.5 m/s squared. Find the mass of the skateboard if your mass is 58kg.

We keep coming up with a different answer than the book. Can someone explain this so we can make sure we are doing it correctly?

Thank You!

<< personal e-mail address edited out by berkeman >>

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The equation is force = mass * acclearation or F=ma
Since we know f and a and want m we have to re-arrange the formula this gives m=f/a
If you plug in the numbers you get m = 30N/0.5ms-2 = 60kg
Since you have a mass of 58.5kg the mass of the skateboard is the difference.

you divide 30n by 0.5 m/s and you will get ur anwser which you then subtaract 58 from and you will get ur anwser it will have this unit of measure kg*m/s N

1. How can I help my 9-year-old 7th grader with their schoolwork?

The best way to help your child is to first understand their strengths and weaknesses in each subject. Then, work with them to create a study schedule and provide any necessary resources or support. It's also important to communicate with their teachers to see if there are any areas they need extra help with.

2. Is it normal for a 9-year-old to be in 7th grade?

No, it is not common for a 9-year-old to be in 7th grade. Some children may be academically advanced and skip a grade, but it's important to make sure they are emotionally and socially ready for the challenges of being in a higher grade.

3. How can I make sure my 9-year-old is not overwhelmed by being in 7th grade?

It's important to support your child and make sure they have a good balance of schoolwork and free time. Encourage them to take breaks and engage in activities they enjoy. Additionally, make sure to communicate with their teachers if you notice them struggling or feeling overwhelmed.

4. How can I help my 9-year-old adjust to being in a higher grade with older students?

It's important to encourage your child to be confident in themselves and their abilities. Remind them that age does not determine intelligence or capability. Additionally, it can be helpful to involve them in extracurricular activities or clubs where they can socialize with students their own age.

5. Is it okay for my 9-year-old to be in 7th grade academically, but still have the social skills of a 9-year-old?

Every child develops at their own pace and it's important not to compare your child to others. It's okay for them to excel academically and still have the social skills of a 9-year-old. Encourage them to make friends and socialize, but don't pressure them to fit in with older students.