How to enter negative numbers in Ti89 Titanium?

In summary: Especially in countries like China, where the quality control is not as rigorous as it should be. In summary, you need to remove the battery to enter negative numbers on the Ti89 Titanium calculator.
Shailen Sobhe
How to enter negative numbers in Ti89 Titanium??

This is so hard. I wonder whether I need more training in Google search or is it that the Ti89Titanium has a very very poor Knowledge Base and Tutorial.

How do you enter a negative value?

During my search, I noticed that the Ti89 uses a key labelled (-) to enter a negative value, as opposed to -, the normal minus sign. I don't see this enigmatic (-) key on my Titanium. I removed the batteries, and it wasn't underneath neither.

I Googled for the Titanium photo, just to ensure that my calculator did not have a severe casing defect. Everything seems normal. The (-) key does not exist on the Titanium.

Trying to enter - simply ,then typing a number, and finally 'Enter', produces a Syntax error.
On home, pressing the - button shows ans(1)-, which is not what I want.

How do I enter the negative sign directly??

Computer science news on Phys.org

Negative numbers don't exist. You must have one of those alt dimension calculators.

Hi Shailen Sobhe,

Shailen Sobhe said:
This is so hard. I wonder whether I need more training in Google search or is it that the Ti89Titanium has a very very poor Knowledge Base and Tutorial.

How do you enter a negative value?

During my search, I noticed that the Ti89 uses a key labelled (-) to enter a negative value, as opposed to -, the normal minus sign. I don't see this enigmatic (-) key on my Titanium. I removed the batteries, and it wasn't underneath neither.

I Googled for the Titanium photo, just to ensure that my calculator did not have a severe casing defect. Everything seems normal. The (-) key does not exist on the Titanium.

Trying to enter - simply ,then typing a number, and finally 'Enter', produces a Syntax error.
On home, pressing the - button shows ans(1)-, which is not what I want.

How do I enter the negative sign directly??

Maybe I'm not understanding what you are asking for, but on mine the minus sign is above the plus sign, and the negative sign is below the 3. Is yours different from that?

@alphysicist:

I was worried I had a fake Titanium. Mine is a refurbished one. I've sent the calculator to my seller yesterday, and got the keys corrected today. (My mistake: I didn't notice the difference when I compared my physical calculator and the downloaded picture.)

Thank you for spotting that key. I swear I watched the photo several times, and I never saw the difference. I guess I'll have to contact my oculist.

PS: I then checked the firmware version of my calculator to ensure there was nothing fake. Everything seems okay. I even removed the back case, and checked the ASIC processor chip which was thankfully a genuine motorolla chip. Today, the piracy world is such a thriving industry that you have to be wary of all electronics you purchase. Apparently, The Chinese won the gold medal of excellency in this business. They pirate stuff to perfection; at least, above the hood, everything is perfect.

Last year, my dad bought some iPod nanos in China. Oblivious to the genuine model, he bought four fake devices and came back. I felt it 'horrendous', to exaggerate on the word, to hold that fake mp3 player, disguised into Apple's iPod.

Therefore, be cautious everyone when buying electronics.

What are the steps to enter negative numbers in Ti89 Titanium?

To enter a negative number on the Ti89 Titanium, follow these steps:

1. Press the minus (-) key on the calculator.
  2. Enter the desired number.
  3. Press the "Enter" key to confirm the number.

Can I enter negative numbers using the keypad on the Ti89 Titanium?

Yes, you can enter negative numbers using the keypad on the Ti89 Titanium. Simply press the minus (-) key before entering the desired number.

Is there a specific format for entering negative numbers on the Ti89 Titanium?

No, there is no specific format for entering negative numbers on the Ti89 Titanium. As long as you press the minus (-) key before the desired number, it will be registered as a negative number.

Can I enter negative numbers with decimal points on the Ti89 Titanium?

Yes, you can enter negative numbers with decimal points on the Ti89 Titanium. Simply follow the same steps as entering a regular negative number, but include the decimal point in the desired number.

Are there any limitations to entering negative numbers on the Ti89 Titanium?

No, there are no limitations to entering negative numbers on the Ti89 Titanium. You can enter any negative number, including those with decimal points, as long as they fall within the calculator's range of values.