Is it too late to switch my major and pursue chemistry as a career?

• Thread starter Ghost803
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Major
In summary, the conversation revolves around a college student who is currently in their third year and studying economics and actuarial science. However, they have realized that they have no interest in this field and are considering transferring to a better college to pursue a major in chemistry. They are confident in their abilities and have plans to continue their education up to a PhD level. The main concern is whether the student will be accepted into graduate schools after taking longer than the usual 4 years to graduate. The other person in the conversation reassures the student that it is not a problem and encourages them to pursue their interests. They also suggest considering a degree in computer forensics for potential job opportunities.
Ghost803
I just the started third year of my college and I am a econ/actuary major. But the thing is I am completely not interested in the field and its been showing through. I have a G.P.A barely above 3.1. I go to college in Georgia. I was thinking about finishing my third year here and transferring to a better college and taking Chemistry as my major.

I am genuinely interested in the field and am absolutely sure that I can do extremely well in the classes and I want to go to graduate level then p.h.d. then research. But my question is, is it too late? Will I be not accepted into graduate schools even if I do extremely well in my chem classes, because I will have been in college for 5.5 years? Btw, tuition isn't too much of a problem because around here a semester costs about 5000 dollars, so the extra 3-4 semesters isn't too much of a problem.

My only concern is that I won't be taken seriously later on because I took so long to graduate and didn't do **** for the first 2 years.

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't fret about it, Ghost. So what if it takes you longer. You have a good reason why, because you changed majors...lots of people change tracks!

Really, it won't matter, especially if your chemistry grades are good.

Look at the alternative: in two years you'll be unhappily working as an actuary, always wondering, "What if?"

You don't want that!

I think I am going to take your advice Lisa. thx

man, if you are really good at CHEMISTRY and USA citizen, get a degree in COMPUTER FORENCISCS, you will work for CIA or FBI. I don't think it matters if it takes 5 years or 10 years to graduate.

What factors should I consider when deciding on a major?

There are several factors to consider when deciding on a major, including your interests, strengths, career goals, and job market demand. It is important to choose a major that aligns with your passions and abilities, but also has potential for future employment opportunities.

What if I am interested in multiple majors?

If you are torn between multiple majors, consider taking courses in each of them to gain a better understanding of the subject matter and determine which one you enjoy the most. You can also speak with academic advisors and students in those majors to get a feel for their experiences and career prospects.

Is it okay to change my major?

Yes, it is perfectly normal and acceptable to change your major. Many students change their majors at least once during their college career. It is important to make sure you are passionate and motivated about your chosen major, as it will greatly impact your academic and career success.

What if I am unsure about my career goals?

If you are unsure about your career goals, you can choose a major that aligns with your interests and skills. You can also explore different career options through internships, job shadowing, and informational interviews. It is also important to remember that your major does not necessarily determine your career path, and you can always change or pivot later on.

Are there resources available to help me decide on a major?

Yes, there are several resources available to help you decide on a major. Your college's career center, academic advisors, and professors can provide guidance and resources to help you make an informed decision. You can also take career assessments and attend career fairs to explore different majors and career options.