How would Obama's election affect taxes and other promises he's made?

• Thread starter ZapperZ
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation mainly revolves around a sign that refers to Obama as a "half-breed muslin" and the reactions and opinions of the participants. Some express disgust and frustration at the ignorance and racism displayed by the sign and its supporters. Others discuss the tactics used by the Republican party and how fear and deception seem to dominate their campaign. The conversation also touches on the misleading statements made by McCain and Palin and the lack of substance in their arguments. Overall, the conversation highlights the troubling issues of ignorance, racism, and dishonesty in politics.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Obama is a "half-breed muslin"

Really!

Somehow, an "insult" just doesn't work when one can't spell very well, and when it reveals more of the "stupidity" of the person who wrote it.

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2008/09/30/pallone.obama.sign.cf13

Nevertheless, the sign is still hysterically funny. It is as silly as calling Mickey Mouse a "soldier of satan".

Zz.

Physics news on Phys.org

Haven't you heard? Muslim is the new black.

ZapperZ said:
Nevertheless, the sign is still hysterically funny. It is as silly as calling Mickey Mouse a "soldier of satan".

I think in this case, it's more like calling Mickey Mouse a "soldier of Satin". ;P

I thought muslin was a thin insubstantial cheap white material. It's normally used for disposable backdrops and scenery but you have to be careful though - it is highly flammable and often dangerously bursts into flames at the wrong moment.
In surgery it's used to wrap around old weak blood vessels to support them and prevent aneurysms.

No political jokes there unfortunately.

Ben Niehoff said:
I think in this case, it's more like calling Mickey Mouse a "soldier of Satin". ;P

Oh no.

It really does make one wonder if voting rights should have a lower IQ limit. This sort of thing is so pathetic that it makes me feel ill.

You have to wonder about the "intelligence" of people who forward emails blasting Obama for the views of his Protestant minister, then switch-hit to forwarding emails, blasting him for being a Muslim. Disconnect, anyone?

Last edited:

I didn't realize muslin was bred...

I thought he was a half-baked muesli?

CRGreathouse said:
I didn't realize muslin was bred...

All of you misunderstood the sign. Of course you can breed http://www.muslincats.ru/en/home/.

No one smart enough to run for President would wear a Muslin dress.

IMO, people like this, and there are plenty of them, can mostly be explained by one simple fact: Obama is the wrong color.

I have been noticing lately that many people who will not vote for Barack [I mean people that I encouter and talk with - in particular some members of my own family - and not necessarily anyone here] can't give one reason for it that stands the test of truth. So I don't think there is much of a hidden racial bias against Obama. I think people who are racist tend to admit up front that they won't support Obama, they just lie about the reasons why. It appears that many are even highly compelled to spread nonsense like the idiot linked in the op.

Last edited:

Dey took our Jobs! DETOOKOURJOBBBBBBBBZZZ!

This guy is angry that the media actually went up to Alaska to finds out things about "Pollin."

Being a half breed muslin is probably better than being a poly-ester. :uhh:

It's really not just Obama though. If you ask people why they don't support McCain, you also get a lot of odd answers that have nothing to do with reality (well, before Palin came on board anyway :rolleyes:). It's really scary how many people just vote by who they think looks more like a candidate and have no idea about the issues.

Moonbear said:
It's really scary how many people just vote by who they think looks more like a candidate and have no idea about the issues.
Or they assume that the farm lobby, the oil industry, the gun lobby, the $ETHNIC$ lobby, Wall St etc will set all the policies so you are only voting for how looks best on TV anyway.

As well as "Muslim", "Community Organizer" is also the new "n*****"

http://ninesisters.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/get_a_brain_morans.jpg

*Caution* Before viewing this video you might want to have some really strong booze handy.

http://www.viralvideochart.com/break/redneck_woman_rails_on_obama?id=NTgwMDc1

Last edited by a moderator:

WarPhalange said:

*Caution* Before viewing this video you might want to have some really strong booze handy.

...snort...he misspelled "maroon"...

WarPhalange said:

Hey, she supports a democrat (Hillary), there is *SOME* hope in the world! :rofl:

lisab said:
...snort...he misspelled "maroon"...

I know. I hate illisterate people.

Ben Niehoff said:
It's true.
mickeycostumea.jpg

Ben Niehoff said:
and here

Rioting%20Polish%20Police's%20Mickey%20Mouse%20Uniform%20picture%5B4%5D.jpg

It goes both ways. Things like this scare me a bit...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7p8tLtiTW-M

B. Elliott said:

I am going to be ill.

People are going to be so mad when they find out he can't walk on water. This is happening to the governor of California right now.

Math Is Hard said:
when they find out he can't walk on water. This is happening to the governor of California right now.
He can't ?
They will fix it in the next version, Terminator-Vista.

Moonbear said:
It's really not just Obama though. If you ask people why they don't support McCain, you also get a lot of odd answers that have nothing to do with reality (well, before Palin came on board anyway :rolleyes:). It's really scary how many people just vote by who they think looks more like a candidate and have no idea about the issues.

Rove and the Republicans have raised fear mongering and hate as campaign tactics to unprecedented levels in modern politics. It is now what defines the Republican party: Fear and fluff. McCain promised to change this.

How many times have McCain and Palin lied by saying that Obama will raise your taxes? How many times have McCain and Palin misled voters by saying that Obama voted to cut funding for the troops? How many times have McCain and Palin lied by implying that we can drill for oil and solve the energy problem? Is Palin really the nation's leading energy expert, as McCain has claimed? Does Alaska's proximity to Russia really count as foreign policy experience, as McCain and Palin have claimed?

There is no comparison. The Republicans are now the party of deception. When Obama and Biden defended Obama's vote on the troop funding, they made it clear that McCain voted against funding as well, but as part of a larger package that he rejected, just as Obama did. They provided context that made their position honest and accurate. But not McCain; not Palin. They just lie and lie and lie.

Last edited:

Hey, I like that.

Did you hear about the new Republican laundry detergent; fear and fluff?

Math Is Hard said:
I am going to be ill.

People are going to be so mad when they find out he can't walk on water. This is happening to the governor of California right now.

After what we've been through for the last eight years, a guy with lead boots could walk on water. But, luckily we have a born leader who is brillliant and a Constitutional scholar - a man who chose to serve the public good, rather than taking a high-paying, cushy job. Arnold was an actor and weight lifter.

Of course expectations are unrealistic. That is human nature.

Last edited:

Ivan Seeking said:
Rove and the Republicans have raised fear mongering and hate as campaign tactics to unprecedented levels in modern politics. It is now what defines the Republican party: Fear and fluff. McCain promised to change this.

How many times have McCain and Palin lied by saying that Obama will raise your taxes? How many times have McCain and Palin misled voters by saying that Obama voted to cut funding for the troops? How many times have McCain and Palin lied by implying that we can drill for oil and solve the energy problem? Is Palin really the nation's leading energy expert, as McCain has claimed? Does Alaska's proximity to Russia really count as foreign policy experience, as McCain and Palin have claimed?

There is no comparison. The Republicans are now the party of deception. When Obama and Biden defended Obama's vote on the troop funding, they made it clear that McCain voted against funding as well, but as part of a larger package that he rejected, just as Obama did. They provided context that made their position honest and accurate. But not McCain; not Palin. They just lie and lie and lie.

I guess we'll find out if it's really lies if Obama gets elected. I'm betting that he WILL raise taxes. That, or a whole lot of the other promises he's making are lies, because I don't see any way he can accomplish everything he claims he will without raising taxes. :rolleyes:

Then again, Obama's the one who said it wasn't important to be in Congress for the Wall Street bail out package vote and all his supporters claimed it must be because the vote was a sure thing...uh huh...that worked out well.

But you'll continue to see what you want to see.

B. Elliott said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7p8tLtiTW-M

Hile OBAMA! ...er...I Mean...

Yeah, that's kinda creepy...

Moonbear said:
I guess we'll find out if it's really lies if Obama gets elected. I'm betting that he WILL raise taxes. That, or a whole lot of the other promises he's making are lies, because I don't see any way he can accomplish everything he claims he will without raising taxes. :rolleyes:

Then again, Obama's the one who said it wasn't important to be in Congress for the Wall Street bail out package vote and all his supporters claimed it must be because the vote was a sure thing...uh huh...that worked out well.

But you'll continue to see what you want to see.

Are you saying he should have, like, suspended his campaign, rushed to Washington (after some interviews), and then tried to look busy while getting in everybody's way?

I thought he said he didn't need to be in Congress for the bail out plan because there were roughly 100 other people working on it already. Would he have honestly just walked into the room and presented a plan, then segued into a party with cake and strippers?

I'm pretty pissed he hasn't been voting much while campaigning, but I honestly don't think his presence or absence would have made a difference in the package deal.

1. How would Obama's election affect taxes?

As a scientist, I cannot predict the exact impact of Obama's election on taxes. However, based on his campaign promises and past actions, it is likely that there will be changes in tax policies. Obama has proposed raising taxes on the wealthy and providing tax cuts for middle and lower-income households. He has also promised to close tax loopholes and increase taxes on corporations. Ultimately, the changes in taxes will depend on the decisions made by Congress and the overall state of the economy.

2. Will Obama keep his promises on taxes?

Again, as a scientist, I cannot definitively answer this question. However, Obama has a track record of fulfilling many of his campaign promises, including those related to taxes. In his first term, he signed into law the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act, which provided tax cuts for middle and lower-income families. He also passed the Affordable Care Act, which included taxes on high-income individuals and certain healthcare industries. It is likely that Obama will continue to prioritize tax reform and work towards fulfilling his promises.

3. How will Obama's tax policies affect the economy?

The impact of Obama's tax policies on the economy is a complex issue and cannot be definitively answered. Some experts argue that raising taxes on the wealthy could slow economic growth, while others believe it could help reduce income inequality and stimulate consumer spending. Additionally, tax cuts for middle and lower-income households could potentially boost consumer spending and stimulate economic growth. Ultimately, the overall impact on the economy will depend on a variety of factors and cannot be predicted with certainty.

4. What other promises has Obama made besides tax reform?

Obama has made numerous promises during his campaigns and presidency, including those related to healthcare, education, and foreign policy. Some of his notable promises include expanding access to affordable healthcare, improving public education, and addressing climate change. He has also promised to work towards immigration reform, gun control measures, and closing the Guantanamo Bay detention center. It is important to note that not all of these promises have been fulfilled, and the success of his policies will depend on a variety of factors.

5. How will Obama's election affect the national debt?

Again, the exact impact of Obama's election on the national debt cannot be predicted. However, Obama has proposed a combination of spending cuts and tax increases to address the growing national debt. He has also implemented measures such as the Budget Control Act of 2011, which aimed to reduce the deficit over time. Ultimately, the success of these policies in reducing the national debt will depend on a variety of factors, including the state of the economy and the decisions made by Congress.

Back