Calculating Young's Modulus for a Wire

In summary, when calculating the Young's modulus for a wire, it is important to use the correct cross-sectional area in the equation. In this case, using the correct area of 0.101 cm2 resulted in the correct answer of 6.73283E10 Pa.
JJones_86

Homework Statement

A wire of length 4.97 m with a cross-sectional area of 0.101 cm2 stretches by 6.53 mm when a load of 0.92 kN is hung from it. What is the Young's modulus for this wire?

Homework Equations

(F/A) = Y(Change in Length/Initial Length)

The Attempt at a Solution

(920 N)(4.97m)/(.00653m)(.0000104 m^2) = 6.73283E10

I can't seemt to figure out what I am doing wrong... Is that answer not in Pa?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi JJones_86,

JJones_86 said:

Homework Statement

A wire of length 4.97 m with a cross-sectional area of 0.101 cm2 stretches by 6.53 mm when a load of 0.92 kN is hung from it. What is the Young's modulus for this wire?

Homework Equations

(F/A) = Y(Change in Length/Initial Length)

The Attempt at a Solution

(920 N)(4.97m)/(.00653m)(.0000104 m^2) = 6.73283E10

I can't seemt to figure out what I am doing wrong... Is that answer not in Pa?

In the problem statement it says the area is 0.101 cm2, but in your calculation you use 0.104cm2. Which one is correct?

LOL, well that was my problem then. For some reason I wrote down .104 cm... After correcting it, I got the right answer. Thanks!

Glad to help!

1. What is Young's modulus for a wire?

Young's modulus is a measure of the stiffness of a material, specifically the ratio of stress (force per unit area) to strain (change in length per unit length) when the material is subjected to tension or compression. It is often denoted by the symbol E and is measured in units of pressure or stress, such as pascals (Pa).

2. How is Young's modulus calculated for a wire?

The formula for calculating Young's modulus for a wire is E = (F * L) / (A * ΔL), where E is Young's modulus, F is the applied force, L is the original length of the wire, A is the cross-sectional area of the wire, and ΔL is the change in length of the wire.

3. Why is Young's modulus important for wires?

Young's modulus is important for wires because it helps determine the wire's ability to withstand tension or compression without breaking or deforming. It is also a crucial factor in designing and selecting wires for different applications, such as in construction, engineering, and manufacturing.

4. What factors can affect Young's modulus for a wire?

Young's modulus for a wire can be affected by various factors, including the material of the wire, the temperature, and the manufacturing process. Different materials have different Young's moduli, and temperature changes can cause the wire to expand or contract, altering its modulus. The manufacturing process can also affect the wire's microstructure, which can impact its modulus.

5. How does Young's modulus differ for different types of wires?

The Young's modulus can vary significantly for different types of wires, depending on their material and characteristics. For example, steel wires typically have a higher modulus compared to copper wires. Additionally, factors such as the wire's thickness, length, and composition can also affect its Young's modulus.