Industrial grad degrees with a physics bs

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's interest in pursuing a graduate degree that offers a stable job and salary while still allowing them to do what they love. The options of medical physics, biomedical engineering, and nuclear engineering are mentioned, with the added concern of potentially contributing to harm in the latter. The conversation also touches on the demand for nuclear engineers and the potential benefits and drawbacks of nuclear power.
marmot
I am studying physics and I love it. However, I think I am not cut for academia's cutthroat atmosphere, nor am I smart enough for it. I was wondering for other grad degrees that offer a stable job and a stable salary while still doing the stuff I like. I read about medical physics, which seems not a bad idea. I also read about biomedical engineering, which accepts a lot of physics students. Any more suggestions? There is also nuclear engineering but I don't like the possibility that I might contribute to the murder of children.

Physics news on Phys.org
Medical physics is a wonderful carrer choice. Lots of money available, and decent demand if you do well in graduate studies. Unfortunately for me it in no way interests me, but we are talking about you. I would recommend choosing what interests you the most... And nuclear engineering should not lead to the death of children unless you go into weapons development. Just look around. And have you considered IT.

Nuclear engineering is far from killing any children. Three Mile Island, the only nuclear meltdown the U.S. ever had killed 0 children, (0 people, with i believe like 3 total injuries). I know that nuclear power gets a bad rap, but it would actually save a lot more than hurt, in my opinion. It is such an efficient energy, once the waste can be properly disposed of, but hey, maybe that is what you could do! Nuclear engineers are going to be in insane demand soon as the U.S. is going to have to start with the resuming of nuclear power.

lax1113 said:
Nuclear engineers are going to be in insane demand soon as the U.S. is going to have to start with the resuming of nuclear power.

True: TVA (the Tennessee Valley Authority) is looking at nuclear power plants (they were already, but I'm sure it's even now more pressing after the recent "sludge" of fly ash).

Yeah I mean at the moment, the other ways of producing energy, coal/fossil fuels produce so much more pollution than nuclear energy that it would really help to be cleaner. The big issue is the radioactive biproduct. This is another cause for nuclear engineers. At the moment a lot of the waste is literally being stored in a mountain in Nevada. Sections are cut out and barrels of radioactive waste is just put into it. Definetly not a good idea, but ways are being developed to make a lot less waste. (read one article that a nuclear engineer foudn a way to use only part of the radioactive isotope that led to 90% less of the radioactive waste in the end!) This way just didn't produce the energy quick enough.

1. What are the benefits of pursuing an industrial grad degree with a physics BS?

There are several benefits to pursuing an industrial grad degree with a physics BS, including:

• Specialized knowledge and skills: Industrial grad degrees combine physics knowledge with practical skills, making graduates highly sought after by employers.
  • Career opportunities: Graduates with industrial grad degrees are qualified for various positions in industries such as technology, engineering, and research.
  • Higher earning potential: Industrial grad degree holders typically earn higher salaries compared to those with just a bachelor's degree.
  • Networking opportunities: Graduate programs often have connections with industry professionals, providing valuable networking opportunities for students.
  • Personal growth: Pursuing an industrial grad degree allows individuals to further develop their critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills.

2. Is it necessary to have a physics BS in order to pursue an industrial grad degree?

While a physics BS is not always required for industrial grad programs, it is highly recommended. A strong foundation in physics is essential for understanding advanced concepts and theories in the field.

3. What types of courses can I expect to take in an industrial grad program with a physics BS?

The specific courses may vary depending on the program, but typical courses include advanced physics topics such as quantum mechanics, statistical mechanics, and electromagnetism, as well as courses in engineering, economics, and project management.

4. What career paths are available for individuals with an industrial grad degree and a physics BS?

Graduates with an industrial grad degree and a physics BS have a wide range of career opportunities available to them, including roles in research and development, engineering, data analysis, and project management in industries such as technology, aerospace, and energy.

5. Can I pursue a PhD after completing an industrial grad degree with a physics BS?

Yes, individuals with an industrial grad degree and a physics BS can go on to pursue a PhD in physics or a related field. The specialized knowledge and skills gained through an industrial grad program can be beneficial for those looking to continue their education and pursue a career in research or academia.