Is God a Mathematician? , Dr. Mario Livio

In summary: No, definitely not.In summary, the speaker is discussing two questions: 1) is mathematics ultimately invented or discovered and 2) does mathematics have any powers beyond the physical world. He is scheduled to speak at a university this Friday and seems to be highly respected. Although he says he is unsure if he will be able to attend, he recommends people go if they are interested. He believes that even if he does not attend, the talk will be interesting.
Cyrus
"Is God a Mathematician?", Dr. Mario Livio

Abstract: For centuries, mathematical theories have proven uncannily accurate at describing - and predicting -the physical world. What is it that gives mathematics such powers? I will thoroughly review this question in "Is God A Mathematician?" (a talk based on my recently published popular book). Along the way I will discuss another question with which mathematicians, philosophers, and neuroscientists have struggled for centuries: Is mathematics ultimately invented or discovered?

Anyone heard of this guy and his book? He's talking on campus this friday. I am on the fence about going.

Physics news on Phys.org

I haven't heard of the guy, but it sounds interesting. I'd go.

Amazon users gave his book 5 stars.

Last edited:

Nature seems to think so too...

I would go. At worst, it sucks but you can always get up and leave. At best you may get some interesting ideas.

One of my favorite questions - Is mathematics ultimately invented or discovered? - so I would go.

Yes, definitely, I would go and explain him why they are discovered :biggrin:

Yet I thought God is PF admins.

humanino said:
Yes, definitely, I would go and explain him why they are discovered :biggrin:

Axioms?

Give it a shot and report back here if you will...

It's on friday at 4:15 pm. I'm supposed to help have this wind tunnel model ready by monday, so I don't know if I'll be able to go or not. Were building the aircraft model at the company, not on campus, so I would have to leave and go to school to sit in the talk -depending how far we get they might not be happy about this.

Cyrus said:
It's on friday at 4:15 pm. I'm supposed to help have this wind tunnel model ready by monday, so I don't know if I'll be able to go or not. Were building the aircraft model at the company, not on campus, so I would have to leave and go to school to sit in the talk -depending how far we get they might not be happy about this.

Pfffft, you would choose to work on some abstract wind tunnel thingy instead of something you can actually use?

1. What is the book "Is God a Mathematician?" about?

The book "Is God a Mathematician?" written by Dr. Mario Livio explores the connection between mathematics and the universe. It delves into the idea that mathematics is not just a human invention, but is deeply embedded in the fabric of the universe itself.

2. Is the book suitable for non-scientists or those with limited knowledge of mathematics?

Yes, the book is written in a way that is accessible to non-scientists and those with limited knowledge of mathematics. Dr. Livio does a great job of explaining complex concepts in a clear and engaging manner.

3. What evidence does the book present for the idea that God is a mathematician?

The book presents various examples and theories from mathematics and physics that suggest a deep connection between mathematics and the universe. These include the concept of symmetry, the Golden Ratio, and the role of mathematics in describing the laws of nature.

4. Does the book argue for or against the idea of a higher power or deity?

The book does not explicitly argue for or against the idea of a higher power or deity. Instead, it presents the idea that mathematics is a fundamental aspect of the universe and explores the implications of this concept.

5. What sets this book apart from other books on the topic of mathematics and the universe?

This book stands out because it not only explores the scientific evidence for the connection between mathematics and the universe, but it also delves into the philosophical implications of this idea. It also includes personal anecdotes and historical context, making it a very engaging read.