Gates - Basic question from new student

• Thread starter Macwoni
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Student
In summary, Gates and Boolean logic are key components in electrical circuits. When asked to point to an 'and' or 'or' gate in an electrical component, you would point to the small piece of silicon where all the leads are connected. Pictures of these gates can be found in an integrated circuit. Additionally, old logic circuits can be seen in the 7400 series, with military versions available in the 5400 series. Don Lancaster's TTL Cookbook is a valuable resource for learning about these components.
Macwoni
OK so I've been reading a lot about gates and Boolean logic lately and I understand how they function but if somebody were to open up the casing of an electrical component and they asked me to point to an 'and' or an 'or' gate what would I point to? Pictures would be very helpful thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Macwoni said:
OK so I've been reading a lot about gates and Boolean logic lately and I understand how they function but if somebody were to open up the casing of an electrical component and they asked me to point to an 'and' or an 'or' gate what would I point to? Pictures would be very helpful thanks.

You'd point to the little piece of silicon that all the leads are wirebonded to. It's just a couple of transistors patterned onto a tiny piece of silicon. (And no, individual transistors probably are not visible to the naked eye--I say probably because it depends on what process was used--hundreds of um used to be a fact of life)

But if you're looking for pictures, look down in this circuit.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integrated_circuit

Thanks that helped me a lot!

this is what you would see in the olden days in school if you were breadboarding logic circuits. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7400

notice that military-spec'd parts were also available in the 5400 series.

the 74 or 54 tells you that it is a civilian or mil logic family, and the next 2 or 3 digits the gate or function type. so a 5400 is a military quad 2-input NAND gate. and letters were added over time to accommodate newer gate technologies.

a classic and still excellent book on these old ICs is Don Lancaster's TTL Cookbook.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0672210355/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the purpose of Gates?

Gates are electronic devices used to control the flow of electricity in a circuit. They can be used to turn a circuit on or off, or to allow current to flow in one direction but not the other.

What are the different types of Gates?

The main types of Gates are AND, OR, NOT, NAND, NOR, and XOR. Each type has a specific function and can be combined to create more complex circuits.

How do you read a Gate diagram?

A Gate diagram consists of symbols representing the input and output signals, as well as the Gate itself. Inputs are represented by circles, and the output is represented by a half-circle with a line. The Gate symbol is placed between the input and output symbols. The input signals are read from left to right, and the output is read at the end of the Gate symbol.

What is the difference between a Gate and a Flip-Flop?

A Gate is a basic logic component that operates on digital signals, while a Flip-Flop is a type of sequential logic circuit that can store a single bit of data. In other words, Gates are used to process data, while Flip-Flops are used to store data.

How are Gates used in real-world applications?

Gates are used in various electronic devices and systems, such as computers, calculators, and smartphones. They are also used in industrial control systems, communication systems, and automotive electronics. Without Gates, modern technology and automation would not be possible.