Current through a wire help

In summary, the conversation discusses two unresolved problems involving a copper wire with a diameter of 1 [mm] and a density of 8.47 × 1028 [atoms/m3]. The first problem asks for the charge that is free to move in a one-meter length of wire. The second problem involves a current of 1 [A] flowing through the wire and asks for the speed of the electrons moving in the opposite direction. Possible solutions are suggested, including using the number of copper atoms and the drift velocity equation.
XodoX
1. A copper wire has a diameter of 1 [mm]. The density of the copper atoms inside the wire is 8.47 × 1028 [atoms/m3]. What is the charge that is free to move in a one-meter length of wire?

2. Assume that a current of 1 [A] is flowing from left to right through the wire in the above
problem. How fast are the electrons moving from right to left, in meters per second? (Hint:
consider how much charge has moved past a given point, from right to left, in one second.

Hello, I got these 2 problems left unresolved. I can't figure out how to do them. Don't find an equation that might satisfy these 2 problems. Any help is appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org

XodoX said:
1. A copper wire has a diameter of 1 [mm]. The density of the copper atoms inside the wire is 8.47 × 1028 [atoms/m3]. What is the charge that is free to move in a one-meter length of wire?

2. Assume that a current of 1 [A] is flowing from left to right through the wire in the above
problem. How fast are the electrons moving from right to left, in meters per second? (Hint:
consider how much charge has moved past a given point, from right to left, in one second.

Hello, I got these 2 problems left unresolved. I can't figure out how to do them. Don't find an equation that might satisfy these 2 problems. Any help is appreciated!

In 1) they tell you how to find the number of copper atoms. Then if you know how many free electrons there are you might be in business.

In 2) then if you know the number of carriers (copper atoms) then maybe this will help?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drift_velocity#Derivation

1. To calculate the charge that is free to move in a one-meter length of wire, we can use the equation Q = nAe, where Q is the total charge, n is the number of free electrons per unit volume, A is the cross-sectional area of the wire, and e is the elementary charge. In this case, we can calculate n by dividing the density of copper atoms by the atomic mass of copper (8.47 × 10^28 atoms/m^3 / 63.55 g/mol = 1.33 × 10^21 electrons/m^3). The cross-sectional area can be calculated by using the formula A = πr^2, where r is the radius of the wire (0.5 mm = 5 × 10^-4 m). Plugging these values into the equation, we get Q = (1.33 × 10^21 electrons/m^3) × (π × (5 × 10^-4 m)^2) × (1.6 × 10^-19 C/electron) = 1.67 × 10^-15 C. Therefore, the charge that is free to move in a one-meter length of wire is 1.67 × 10^-15 C.

2. To calculate the speed of the electrons, we can use the equation v = I/nAe, where v is the speed, I is the current, n is the number of free electrons per unit volume, A is the cross-sectional area of the wire, and e is the elementary charge. We already calculated n and A in the previous problem, so we just need to plug in the values and solve for v. v = (1 A) / ((1.33 × 10^21 electrons/m^3) × (π × (5 × 10^-4 m)^2) × (1.6 × 10^-19 C/electron)) = 2.37 × 10^-5 m/s. Therefore, the electrons are moving from right to left at a speed of 2.37 × 10^-5 m/s.

What is the definition of current through a wire?

The current through a wire refers to the flow of electric charge in a particular direction. It is measured in amperes (A) and is dependent on the voltage and resistance of the wire.

How is current through a wire calculated?

The current through a wire can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that current (I) is equal to voltage (V) divided by resistance (R). This can be written as I = V/R.

What factors affect the current through a wire?

The current through a wire is affected by the voltage applied to the wire and the resistance of the wire. Additionally, the length and thickness of the wire can also have an impact on the current.

How does the current through a wire impact the wire itself?

The current through a wire can generate heat due to the resistance of the wire. This heat can cause the wire to expand and potentially melt or even cause a fire. Additionally, a high current can also cause the wire to degrade and potentially fail over time.

Why is it important to understand the current through a wire?

Understanding the current through a wire is important for a variety of reasons. It allows us to properly design and use electrical circuits, as well as ensures the safety of electrical systems. It also plays a crucial role in many technologies and industries, such as power generation and electronics.