Electrical Engineering MSc (UK)

In summary, an electrical engineering MSc may help bridge the gap between an undergraduate degree in physics and entry into a PhD program in the same subject, but it is not a guaranteed route to getting into a theoretical physics PhD program.
MegaJon
Will an electrical engineering MSc 'bridge the gap' between an undergraduate degree and entry into a PhD programme in the same way an MPhys?

I have a BSc in physics but need either an MPhys or and MSc in Physics to get straight on to the PhD I'm interested in. The trouble is it's hard to find funding for an MSc in Physics unless you are the best.

Currently, I guess an EE masters will be enough to get onto a PhD course in certain areas of experimental physics but I'm not sure it will be enough to get onto a theoretical physics PhD programme. Is this correct?

It's interesting, one of my lecturers who works in string theory obtained his undergrad in EE and then went straight to Carnegie Mellon to do a PhD in physics, but he probably studied a lot of physics in his own time, and is an incredibly smart guy.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why you asking us? Ask the admissions officer for the PhD you are interested in.

mal4mac said:
Why you asking us? Ask the admissions officer for the PhD you are interested in.

Thanks for the help. You came across sounding really smart.

MegaJon, if I understand correctly, you want to pursue Electrical Engineering now. Is that right? If so, a masters in electrical engineering will make it easier to get into a PhD program in the same. I am unfamiliar with MPhys, but if the MSc is similar to an MS, then you have a very good chance. I know of people who did their bachelors' in physics and moved on to electrical engineering, with a masters and a PhD.

Whether an EE masters will make the task of getting into a PhD program in physics more easy or difficult is something I can say nothing about. I would suppose it depends on a number of factors.

All the same, if its physics you want to pursue, get a masters in physics and then a PhD in physics. If its EE you want to do, get a masters and PhD in EE. Getting a PhD in the same subject as the masters is definitely a more straightforward route than switching fields after the masters. This does not mean it is impossible. There are people who have switched to engineering after a masters in physics. In some EE departments, a physics degree is concerned an asset for PhD. Elsewhere, they can be choosy.

Beyond that, you have to be lucky to run into people who realize your worth and interest and appreciate the fact that you have tried to strike a balance. Or you have to be very very good (the example of your professor who switched to theoretical physics from EE). Most physicists I have met disagree because their belief (perhaps rightful) is that it is impossible to do so. On the other hand, some electrical engineering professors with whom I have had similar discussions have maintained that this is possible due to the versatility of an EE degree. Switching from EE to physics is a matter of luck, some brilliance on your part, and a whole lot of other factors swaying in your favor. While there have been many such instances, and I am contemplating something similar, this planet isn't the best place to do so. There are just too many rules.

However, do what you like the most. Do not "settle" for a degree which isn't your first choice. Think about your coursework and thesis. It is most important not to regret such things in future.

Last edited:

1. What are the admission requirements for an Electrical Engineering MSc program in the UK?

The specific admission requirements for an Electrical Engineering MSc program in the UK may vary depending on the university. However, most programs require applicants to have a bachelor's degree in a related field such as electrical engineering, physics, or mathematics. Additionally, a strong academic background, relevant work experience, and English language proficiency are often required.

2. How long does it take to complete an Electrical Engineering MSc program in the UK?

The duration of an Electrical Engineering MSc program in the UK can vary from one to two years, depending on whether the program is full-time or part-time. Full-time programs typically take one year to complete, while part-time programs may take up to two years.

3. Can I specialize in a specific area of Electrical Engineering during the MSc program?

Many universities in the UK offer a variety of specializations within their Electrical Engineering MSc programs. Some common specializations include power systems, telecommunications, control and automation, and renewable energy. It is important to research the specific program offerings of each university to find the one that best aligns with your interests and career goals.

4. Is a thesis or research project required for an Electrical Engineering MSc program in the UK?

It depends on the university and program. Some universities may require students to complete a research project or thesis as part of their MSc program, while others may offer both thesis and non-thesis options. It is important to check the program requirements of each university to determine if a thesis or research project is required.

5. What career opportunities are available after completing an Electrical Engineering MSc program in the UK?

Graduates of an Electrical Engineering MSc program in the UK have a wide range of career opportunities in various industries such as power generation, telecommunications, manufacturing, and renewable energy. Some common job titles include electrical engineer, power systems engineer, telecommunications engineer, and control systems engineer. Graduates may also pursue further education by enrolling in a PhD program in Electrical Engineering or a related field.