QM to QED: How Far Should I Self Study?

• Thread starter maverick_starstrider
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Qed
In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's previous course in quantum mechanics and their interest in self-studying quantum electrodynamics (QED). They are recommended to read the book QED-The Strange Theory of Light and Matter by Feynman. The speaker also asks about the necessary steps to reach QED, including possibly studying quantum field theory (QFT) and string theory.
maverick_starstrider
Just out of curiosity, the last course I took (and the last one I'm probably ever going to take along that path) in QM ended with dirac equation, second quantization and the quantizing of the electric field. How far do I have to go (if I wanted to self study) to get to QED?

Physics news on Phys.org
Get the book : QED-The Strange Theory of Light and Matter by Feynman. It is very to understand but very concise.

jweygna1 said:
Get the book : QED-The Strange Theory of Light and Matter by Feynman. It is very to understand but very concise.

Uh, feynman's QED is a popular science book not a textbook.

If your class was at the graduate level and rigorous, I would say not far. Pick up Ryder or Peskin & Schroeder or Aitchison & Hey or any introductory QFT book. The next step after graduate level QM is typically QFT (if you are interested in that path).

The last course I took was the second semester of graduate quantum, which had exactly the same stuff that you mentioned. This fall I'm taking QFT, which covers QED. I asked the professor, and he said that I had everything I needed to take QFT. So I guess we're both good to go.

maverick_starstrider said:
Uh, feynman's QED is a popular science book not a textbook.
What

I don't know string theory after reading Brian Greene

In all seriousness

I always thought

QM->QFT(and QED)->?

j93 said:
What

I don't know string theory after reading Brian Greene

In all seriousness

I always thought

QM->QFT(and QED)->?

Yes, but I'm inquiring as to what additional tweaks take a quantum theory that is second quantized and has quantized the electric field to "QED". Is there additional reformulation? Do I have to work in path integrals, etc.

1. What is the difference between QM and QED?

QM, or quantum mechanics, is a theory that describes the behavior of particles at a microscopic level. QED, or quantum electrodynamics, is an extension of QM that specifically deals with the interactions between particles and electromagnetic fields.

2. How far should I self-study in QM and QED?

The amount of self-study you should do in QM and QED depends on your personal goals and level of understanding. It is recommended to have a strong foundation in mathematics, particularly calculus and linear algebra, before diving into these subjects. It is also helpful to have a basic understanding of classical mechanics and electromagnetism.

3. What are the applications of QM and QED?

QM and QED have a wide range of applications in various fields such as chemistry, physics, and engineering. They are used to understand the behavior of subatomic particles, to develop new technologies such as transistors and lasers, and to design new materials with specific properties.

4. How do I approach self-studying QM and QED?

It is important to have a structured approach when self-studying QM and QED. Start with a good textbook that covers the fundamentals and follow a study plan. Practice solving problems and seek help from online resources or a tutor when needed. It is also beneficial to join study groups or forums to discuss and clarify concepts with others.

5. What are the challenges of self-studying QM and QED?

Self-studying QM and QED can be challenging due to the abstract concepts and complex mathematical equations involved. It also requires a strong understanding of advanced mathematics and may require a significant amount of time and effort to grasp the material. Additionally, finding reliable resources and staying motivated can be difficult when studying on your own.