Can someone help me with 2 circuit problems please

• Thread starter supermenscher
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuit
In summary, the first conversation was about finding the value of resistance R in a circuit with resistors in series and the equivalent resistance between two points. The second conversation involved using the principle of superposition to solve for the magnitudes and directions of currents through R1 and R2 in a circuit with two batteries and two resistors. Both questions were successfully solved by using appropriate calculations and methods.
supermenscher
Can someone help me with 2 circuit problems...please!

1. The equivalent resistance between points A and B of the resistors shown below is 38 ohms. Find the value of the resistance R.

The resistor looks like this
55 Ohms

_____\/\/\/\/_____
| |
12 Ohms | |
A | |
.____/\/\/\__ | |______. B
| |
| |
|____\/\/\/\/_____|
R

I have no idea what to do...please help.

2. Determine the magnitudes and directions of the currents through R1 and R2, where R1 = 36 ohms and R2 = 10 ohms. I already found the directions. they are both from right to the left, I just need the magnitudes. The Bs represent batteries, and the + next to them indicates the positive side of the battery. I am also really lost on this one can anyone help?

V1=9.0V R1
--+B--/\/\/\-------
| |
| R2 |
.-----/\/\/\/-------.
| |
| |
|----------B+------|
V2=6.0V

Physics news on Phys.org
I would suggest using [ code ] and [ / code ] tags:
Code:
                             55 Ohms

_____\/\/\/\/_____
                      |                 |
       12 Ohms        |                 |
   A                  |                 |
   .____/\/\/\_______ |                 |______. B
                      |                 |
                      |                 |
                      |____\/\/\/\/_____|
                               R

V1=9.0V     R1
                               --+B--/\/\/\-------
                               |                  |
                               |         R2       |
                               .-----/\/\/\/-------.
                               |                  |
                               |                  |
                               |----------B+------|
                                          V2=6.0V
EDIT: :yuck: Well, it looks best in the editor window, slightly better (but not great) in the code tags, and unreadable without those tags.

SECOND EDIT: looks fine now

------------------------------------------------------------

For the first question, you should know how to calculate net resistances when you have resistors in series and parallel. To find the total resistance between A and B, it is:

[tex]R_{total} = 12 \Omega + (55 \Omega || R)[/tex]

[tex]38 \Omega = 12 \Omega + (\frac{1}{55 \Omega} + \frac{1}{R})^{-1}[/tex]

[tex]26 \Omega = (\frac{1}{55 \Omega} + \frac{1}{R})^{-1}[/tex]

[tex](\frac{1}{26 \Omega} - \frac{1}{55 \Omega})^{-1} = R[/tex]

[tex]R \approx 49.310 \Omega[/tex]

[tex]R = 49 \Omega[/tex]

-----------------------------------------------------------

Solve question 2 using the principle of superposition. That is, find the voltages and currents with the circuit first by replacing the top battery with a short circuit, then find the voltages and currents with the top battery, replacing the bottom with a short circuit. Add the numbers from the first calculations to the second calculations, and make sure you take direction/sign into account.

Last edited:
Thank you so much, I got them both right and 100 on the assignment :) :) :)

1. How do I solve circuit problems?

To solve a circuit problem, first identify all of the components and their values. Then, use Ohm's law and Kirchhoff's laws to analyze the circuit and determine the voltage, current, and resistance at each point. Finally, use circuit analysis techniques such as nodal analysis or mesh analysis to solve for the unknown variables.

2. What is Ohm's law?

Ohm's law states that the current through a conductor between two points is directly proportional to the voltage across the two points, and inversely proportional to the resistance between them. It can be written as the equation V = IR, where V is voltage, I is current, and R is resistance.

3. What are Kirchhoff's laws?

Kirchhoff's laws are two principles that govern the behavior of electrical circuits. The first law, also known as Kirchhoff's current law, states that the sum of currents entering a node must equal the sum of currents leaving the node. The second law, known as Kirchhoff's voltage law, states that the sum of voltages around a closed loop in a circuit must equal zero.

4. What is nodal analysis?

Nodal analysis is a method for analyzing electrical circuits by creating a system of equations based on Kirchhoff's current law at each node in the circuit. It is often used to solve for unknown voltages in a circuit with multiple voltage sources.

5. How do I know if my circuit problem has been solved correctly?

To check if your circuit problem has been solved correctly, you can use a circuit simulator or build the circuit and measure the voltage and current at each point. Additionally, you can use the equations and principles of circuit analysis to verify that your calculations are accurate.