Integral of a product of three functions?

In summary, the conversation discusses a difficult integral, with the limits from -pi to pi, and asks for any information or literature on how to solve it. A hint is given to check if the function is even or odd, and it is determined to be odd, resulting in a final answer of 0. The conversation ends with thanks and a link to the Wolfram website showing that there is no indefinite integral for the given function.
Diode
Hello there,

I've been battling through my books and searching the web, but nothing seems to give me any ideas on how to tackle this beast bellow:

[tex]\int_{-\pi }^{\pi } e^{-x^{2}} \sqrt{x^{4}+1} sin x dx [/tex]

This is a reasonably desperate call for any information or literature anyone might know of. If you know of anywhere with material on this or even which techniques I should be looking into it'd be much appreciated!

Thanks,
D =]

Physics news on Phys.org
Diode said:
Hello there,

I've been battling through my books and searching the web, but nothing seems to give me any ideas on how to tackle this beast bellow:

[tex]\int_{-\pi }^{\pi } e^{-x^{2}} \sqrt{x^{4}+1} sin x dx [/tex]

This is a reasonably desperate call for any information or literature anyone might know of. If you know of anywhere with material on this or even which techniques I should be looking into it'd be much appreciated!

Thanks,
D =]

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Big hint of the day, when encountering these type of definite integrals with the limit from -a to a, one should immediately check to see if the given function is even, or odd. :devil:

Can you go from here? :)

---------------

EDIT: Oh, and btw, this thread shouldn't belong to Introductory Physics board.. =.="

Uh.. is it odd? *crosses fingers* so it's zero?

You might have guessed I'm new here, where should this question go?

Diode said:

for an odd function f(-x)=-f(x) and an even function f(-x)=f(x)

Calculus & Beyond forum

Diode said:

Yes, it is. It's 0.

Let f(x) be a continuous function on the interval (-a, a).

If f(x) is odd then:

[tex]\int_{-a} ^ a f(x) = 0[/tex]

And if f(x) is even then:

[tex]\int_{-a} ^ a f(x) = 2 \int_0 ^ a f(x)[/tex]

You can use a simple u-substitution to prove both of them. Pretty easy, just give it a try if you want. :)

Thank you both very much! You have saved me a lot of misguided scribbling =]

By the way, there's no indefinite integral for that function:

http://integrals.wolfram.com/index.jsp?expr=%28e^-x^2%29*sqrt%28x^4%2B1%29*sin%28x%29&random=false

1. What is the definition of an integral of a product of three functions?

An integral of a product of three functions is a mathematical calculation that involves finding the area under the curve of a product of three functions. It is used to solve problems in calculus and is an important concept in both pure and applied mathematics.

2. How do you solve an integral of a product of three functions?

To solve an integral of a product of three functions, you need to use integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or partial fractions. These techniques involve breaking down the integral into simpler forms that can be easily calculated.

3. What are some common examples of integrals of a product of three functions?

Some common examples of integrals of a product of three functions include calculating the volume of a solid with variable cross-sections, determining the center of mass of a three-dimensional object, and finding the work done by a varying force.

4. What are the applications of integrals of a product of three functions in real life?

Integrals of a product of three functions have various applications in real life, such as in physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. For example, they are used to calculate the area under a velocity-time graph to determine the displacement of an object, or to calculate the average value of a function over a given interval.

5. Are there any special cases or rules for solving integrals of a product of three functions?

Yes, there are certain special cases and rules for solving integrals of a product of three functions. For example, the integral of a product of two functions multiplied by a constant is equal to the constant times the integral of the two functions. Also, the integral of a product of three identical functions can be solved using the power rule for integration.