Adding vectors and angles using trig

In summary, to solve the homework statement, you must first determine the angle alpha and find the x- and y-components of the 300-lb force. Once you have those, you can use trigonometry to find the angle b-b'.
talaroue

Homework Statement

300 lb force is to be resolved into components along a-a(prime) and b-b(prime).
a.) Determine the angle by trigonometry knowing that the compnent along line a-a(prime) is to be 240 lb.

b.) What is the corresponding value of the component b-b(prime)

Statics1-1.jpg

in the picture i changed a-a(prime) to x-x(prime) and b-b(prime) to y-y(prime)

Homework Equations

sin(theata 1)/A=sin(theata 2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to do this seeing as it is tilted?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm having trouble understanding the problem and the diagram. I see a vector, a horizontal line label x at one end and x' at the other, and a tilted line labeled y' at one end. Can you restate the problem?

i took a different picture

This is straight from the book...

"The 300-lb force is to be resolved into components along the lines a-a' and b-b'

a.) Determine the angle alpha by trigonometry knowing that the component along line a-a' is to be 240-lb

b.0What is the corresponding value of the component along b-b'

talaroue said:
i took a different picture
Where is it?

Statics2.jpg

sorry it took me a while to upload it to photobucket, then onto here sorry

does this help?

talaroue said:
does this help?
Yes--it's clear now.

Since you're given the component of the force along a-a', what must alpha be? That's step one. Then you'll have all the angles needed.

Ok, i thought the angle of a-a' would have been 180 since its a straight line. But then its wrong. Then i thought maybe its 120 but then after working through it again it is wrong.

talaroue said:
Ok, i thought the angle of a-a' would have been 180 since its a straight line. But then its wrong. Then i thought maybe its 120 but then after working through it again it is wrong.
Answer this: How would you find the x-component of a vector making an angle of alpha with the x-axis? It's the same problem.

cos(alpha)=a-a'/300

is that what you are asking?

which would make alpha=36 deg which is wrong.

talaroue said:
cos(alpha)=a-a'/300

is that what you are asking?
I would write it as:
Fa-a' = F cos(alpha)
240 = 300 cos(alpha)

right so alpha=cos^-1(.8)=36 deg, the anwser is 76.1 deg...which doesn't make sense

talaroue said:
which would make alpha=36 deg which is wrong.
cos-1(240/300) = 36.9 deg

Why do you say that's wrong?

because in the back of the book it says its 76.1

talaroue said:
What's the answer given for b? Is it consistent?

the answer for b is 336 lb

talaroue said:
OK. I understand what they want. The axes are not orthogonal, thus to find the a-a' component you must draw a line parallel to b-b' that intersects the tip of the 300-lb vector. You'll get a triangle, two sides of which are given (240 and 300). You'll be able to use some trig to find alpha. (The answer is correct, now that I understand it. :uhh:)

(Taking Fcos(alpha) is only good for orthogonal coordinates, not skewed. Sorry about that!)

And to then find the b-b' component, you'll draw a line parallel to a-a' and get another triangle.

so then how do you find the correct angle that they did?

talaroue said:
so then how do you find the correct angle that they did?
Using some trig. (Law of sines, for one.)

which i orginally had, but the problem was I couldn't figure out what angle i use for axis a-a'

talaroue said:
which i orginally had, but the problem was I couldn't figure out what angle i use for axis a-a'
The line that you'll draw parallel to b-b' will also make a 60 degree angle with a-a'. So one of the angles in that triangle is 60. Then use the law of sines to find one other angle. Then find angle alpha.

sin(60)/300=sin(theata)/240

i see now so then i get 43.9

180-60-43.8=76.1!
and then from there i can find b-b'

thank you so much your a life saver

1. What is the difference between adding vectors using trig and using the parallelogram method?

Adding vectors using trig involves breaking down the vectors into their individual components and using trigonometric functions to add them together. The parallelogram method involves drawing the vectors as sides of a parallelogram and using the resultant vector as the diagonal of the parallelogram.

2. Can vectors with different magnitudes be added using trig?

Yes, vectors with different magnitudes can be added using trig. The magnitude of the resultant vector will depend on the angle between the two vectors.

3. How do you add three or more vectors using trig?

To add three or more vectors using trig, you can use the following steps: 1. Break down each vector into its components.2. Add the components of the first two vectors using trigonometric functions.3. Add the components of the third vector to the resultant of the first two.4. Continue adding the components of the remaining vectors to the resultant until all vectors have been added.5. Use the Pythagorean theorem to find the magnitude of the resultant vector.6. Use inverse trigonometric functions to find the direction of the resultant vector.

4. Can vectors with negative components be added using trig?

Yes, vectors with negative components can be added using trig. The negative components will simply result in a negative value for the resultant vector's components.

5. What is the role of angles in adding vectors using trig?

Angles are essential in adding vectors using trig as they help determine the direction of the resultant vector. The magnitude and direction of the resultant vector can be calculated using trigonometric functions based on the angles between the vectors.