Particle Equilibrium Homework: Find x & y Coordinates

• Thread starter fball558
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Equilibrium
In summary, the problem involves finding the equilibrium position of an electron between two point charges: -1 C at the origin and 11 C at (1 m, 0.5 m). Using the formula for attraction and repulsion forces, the equation -1/d^2 = 11/(d+L)^2 is derived, where L is the distance between the two charges. By solving for d, the x and y coordinates of the equilibrium position can be found using x= -d cos theta and y = -d sin theta, where theta is the angle formed by the imaginary line connecting the two charges and the x-axis.
fball558

Homework Statement

A point charge of -1 C is located at the origin. A second point charge of 11 C is at x = 1 m, y = 0.5 m. Find the x and y coordinates of the position at which an electron would be in equilibrium.

The Attempt at a Solution

i got pretty far on this (i think) just stuck on the last step. here is what i have done so far.

first i said L is an imaginary line connecting the two particles. you can form a triangle out of this and L is the hypotonuse (spelled wrong I am sorry) so L can be found by
sqrt(1^2 + .5^2)
then i know that at equilibrium the particle will have an attraction and a repulsion force (called F1 and F2)
|F1| = k*-1*e/d^2
|F2| = k*11*e/(d+L)^2
i set these equal to each other
k*-1*e/d^2 = k*11*e/(d+L)^2
and get

-1/d^2 = 11/(d+L)^2 where L = sqrt(125)

i also found that theta = arctan .5

this is where I am stuck.

i think i have to find d from the above equation and plug into
x= -d cos theta
y = -d sin theta
to get my x and y cordinate of equilibrium.
but I am getting stuck solving for d.
please let me know if I am doing this right.
thanks alot

(not sure if this is 'advanced' or not, so put in this forum)

Physics news on Phys.org
"-1/d^2 = 11/(d+L)^2 where L = sqrt(125)"

L should be sqrt(1.25)...
Simply cross multiply, expand the brackets, and solve the quadratic equation!

Your approach is mostly correct, but there are a few things that need to be clarified. First, the equation for the force should be written as F = kQq/r^2, where Q and q are the charges of the two particles and r is the distance between them. Also, since we are dealing with an electron, the charge should be -1.6 x 10^-19 C, not -1 C.

To find the distance d, you can use the Pythagorean theorem to solve for d in the equation -1/d^2 = 11/(d+L)^2. This should give you two possible solutions for d, one positive and one negative. Since we are looking for the distance from the origin, the positive solution is the correct one.

Once you have found the correct value for d, you can plug it into the equations x = -d cos theta and y = -d sin theta to find the x and y coordinates of the equilibrium position. Remember to use the correct value for theta, which in this case is arctan(0.5) = 26.6 degrees.

Overall, your approach is on the right track and just needs a few adjustments to get the correct solution. Keep up the good work!

What is particle equilibrium?

Particle equilibrium is a state in which the net force acting on a particle is zero. This means that the particle is either at rest or moving at a constant velocity.

How do I find the x and y coordinates in particle equilibrium?

To find the x and y coordinates in particle equilibrium, you need to set up an equation that takes into account all the forces acting on the particle. The sum of the x-components of these forces should equal the x-coordinate of the particle, while the sum of the y-components should equal the y-coordinate.

What are the steps to solve a particle equilibrium problem?

The steps to solve a particle equilibrium problem are: 1) Draw a free body diagram, 2) Identify all the forces acting on the particle, 3) Write down the equations for equilibrium in the x and y directions, 4) Solve the equations simultaneously for the x and y coordinates, and 5) Check your answer by plugging in the values into the original equations.

What are the common types of forces to consider in particle equilibrium?

The common types of forces to consider in particle equilibrium are: weight, normal force, tension, friction, and applied forces. These forces can act in both the x and y directions and must be taken into account when solving for equilibrium.

Can I use trigonometry to solve particle equilibrium problems?

Yes, trigonometry can be used to solve particle equilibrium problems. For example, if a force is acting at an angle, you can use trigonometric functions such as sine and cosine to determine the x and y components of that force.