Derivative of a function, Is my answer correct?

In summary, a derivative of a function is a measure of its rate of change or slope at a specific point. The derivative can be found using derivative rules and is useful in various fields such as determining maximum and minimum points, calculating velocity and acceleration, and solving optimization problems. A function can have multiple derivatives, and the best way to check the accuracy of a derivative is to use the derivative rules or compare visually with a graph.
neutron star

Homework Statement

y=e^9Θsin(8Θ)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

dy/dΘ=e^9Θ(sin(8Θ)+8cos(8Θ))

Physics news on Phys.org
[Edit] I didn't catch the missing 9; sorry about that.

Last edited:
is that (using t for theta)

y=e^(9t.sin(8t)) or y=(e^(9t)).sin(8t)?

Ugh, it said incorrect...

if it is
y=(e^(9t)).sin(8t)

i think you should get an extra factor of 9
y'=(e^(9t)).(9sin(8t)+ 8cos(8t))

Lanedance is right, you get that factor of 9 when taking the exponential derivative.

1. What is a derivative of a function?

A derivative of a function is a measure of how the function changes with respect to one of its variables. It determines the rate of change, or slope, at a specific point on the function.

2. How do you find the derivative of a function?

The derivative of a function can be found using the derivative rules, such as the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule. These rules involve taking the limit of a function as the change in the variable approaches zero.

3. What is the purpose of finding the derivative of a function?

The derivative of a function is useful in many areas of science and mathematics. It can help us determine maximum and minimum points on a function, calculate the velocity and acceleration of a moving object, and solve optimization problems.

4. Can a function have more than one derivative?

Yes, a function can have multiple derivatives. The first derivative gives us information about the slope of the function, while the second derivative gives us information about the concavity of the function (whether it is increasing or decreasing). Higher derivatives can also provide more information about the behavior of a function.

5. How can I check if my answer for the derivative of a function is correct?

The best way to check if your answer is correct is to use the derivative rules and work through the steps to see if you get the same result. You can also use online derivative calculators or graph the original function and its derivative to visually compare the results.