How do you feel when someone tells you "I love you"?

• Thread starter Loren Booda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Love
In summary, the conversation discusses the different experiences and perspectives on saying "I love you" to loved ones. Some people reserve it for only intimate relationships, while others say it more frequently. It can be a meaningful expression of love or just a habitual response. Some people come from families where "I love you" is not commonly said, while others have more affectionate families. There can be hesitation or resistance to saying it in certain situations, but in the end, it is important to express love to our loved ones before it's too late.

Our family is big on hugs and kisses. We also always say "I love you" any time we part or end a convo. It's natural and is truly meant. I also say it to my boyfriend, but only when I really mean it (in this case, he said it to me before I said it to him, though). But, I truly do love him and I would not say it, if I didn't mean it. My friends and I say it to each other all the time too. It's more a feeling of telling someone that you care aboiut them and would do anything for them, if it came to it.

Physics news on Phys.org

mcknia07 said:
Our family is big on hugs and kisses. We also always say "I love you" any time we part or end a convo. It's natural and is truly meant. I also say it to my boyfriend, but only when I really mean it (in this case, he said it to me before I said it to him, though). But, I truly do love him and I would not say it, if I didn't mean it. My friends and I say it to each other all the time too. It's more a feeling of telling someone that you care aboiut them and would do anything for them, if it came to it.

This is a generational thing. I'm amazed at how often my daughter and her friends tell each other "I love you". In my circle of friends in high school, we only said that when we were really, really, crazy drunk.

I think today's generation has their priorities right :approve:.

:biggrin: We are just the coolest people ever! That's all there is to it, hehe.

what happens after someone says it? do they have to get married then or what?

Loren Booda said:
How do you feel when someone tells you "I love you"?

That's why I only watch home shopping channels, and some of those 'food' shows on TV ALL day long!----every other word out of their mouths is 'love' ...

"You'll love it (after you buy it)" ; "We/I love it (because we/I make money off it)" ; "You'll love the favor of this (because YOU deserve it)"...

Love is what makes those shows! Don't you just LOVE it?!

JasonRox said:
But then you're assuming I never did.

I wouldn't be surprised if I felt emotions for someone that were much higher than someone else had for another and they called it love. Just because I won't call it love doesn't mean you can conclude my positive emotions towards someone or something is less. Hence, to conclude I never experienced it because I choose not to express myself that way is basically ignorant to what emotions are in the first place.

Love can only mean so much.

While I agree with almost everything you said, I'm not sure I can follow it to the conclusion. Perhaps it's just me, but I cannot think of an emotion that would be beyond "merely" love, as your words seems to imply there is.

Love is the pinnacle, sort of by definition. Anything more than love and you get into obsession, or worse.

I guess I'm seeing love as the "90 degrees North latitude" of emotion. :smile: