Mathematica and differential topology

In summary, Mathematica can handle tensor equations on a pseudo Riemann manifold of four dimensions with complex matrix entries. It should be capable of repartitioning into subspaces (space and time) or it would be of little help to me. As well, I require the capability to deal with real valued entries in 8 dimensions having metric signature (2-, 6+) --though ten dimensions would be preferable.
Phrak
Solving equations in differential topology by pen and paper, and in Microsoft word has been tedious and error prone. Can Mathematica help?

Mathematica would be required to deal with tensor equations on a pseudo Riemann manifold of four dimensions with complex matrix entries. It should be capable of repartitioning into subspaces (space and time) or it would be of little help to me. As well, I require the capability to deal with real valued entries in 8 dimensions having metric signature (2-, 6+) --though ten dimensions would be preferable.

Can Mathematica, Version 7 handle all this?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sure it can handle it, but I am not sure how much you could do using the built in capabilities and how much you would need to set things up on your own.

Im not sure what you mean by setting thing up.

As one example,

[tex]G = G_{\mu\nu} = G_{[\mu \nu]}[/itex]

The brakets indicate that G is antisymmetric. G, in this case is the dual of the electromagnetic field tensor, F. *dG is easy enough to partition into spacelike and timelike parts.

[tex](*dG)_i = -\epsilon_{i \lambda \mu\nu}\partial_{[\lambda}G_{\mu\nu]}}[/tex]
[tex](*dG)_0 = -\epsilon_{0ijk}\partial_{[i}G_{jk]}}[/tex]

(give or take a factor of 2) 'd' is the exterior derivative, '*' is the Hodge dual (antisymmetric tensor and a scalar factor). It doesn't matter much if your not familiar with the notion, really--just the general idea.

Eventually I should recover equations such as these wave equations

[tex]\frac{1}{2}(*d*dF+d*dG)_{0i} = \partial _t(\nabla x B)_{i} + \partial_i (\nabla \cdot E) - \nabla^2 E_i + ...[/tex]
and
½(*d*dF+d*dG)jk = ...

This is the sort of partitioning I require. The first is time-space. The second is space-space.

I can make the conversions to vector calculus. It's the interim steps that I have to check and rechech and check again that bother me. Some go on for a few pages--and this is in four dimensions. In eight dimensions I don't trust my math skills.

Last edited:
When you write a matrix or tensor equation it is nothing more than a shorthand representation for a whole system of equations. You can certainly use Mathematica to work with the system of equations, and you can use matrix notation as shorthand, but I don't know if the tensor notation is built in. If not, then you would need to do a little bit of preparation to tell the system how to interpret a tensor equation. There is also a pretty decent amount of user-created notebooks available, and if the built-in features do not include tensor manipulation then I am sure someone has developed such a package that you could use.

Thanks, Dale. From what you say, Mathematica can manifupate arrays of at least 8 indices, and if I don't find built-in operations I can build my own? I neeed to find a Mathematica primer.

Yes, that is correct. If you need help let me know, I have something like 13 or 14 years of experience with Mathematica.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is Mathematica and how does it relate to differential topology?

Mathematica is a computational software program that is widely used in the field of mathematics. It is particularly useful for performing complex calculations, visualizing data, and solving mathematical problems. In terms of differential topology, Mathematica can be used to study and analyze the geometric properties of smooth surfaces and manifolds, as well as explore the behavior of differential equations and other mathematical models.

2. Can Mathematica be used to visualize and manipulate differential topology objects?

Yes, Mathematica has a variety of built-in tools and functions specifically designed for working with differential topology objects. These include visualization functions such as Plot3D and ParametricPlot3D, as well as functions for manipulating and analyzing differential forms, vector fields, and other geometric objects.

3. How can Mathematica help with solving differential topology problems?

Mathematica has a powerful symbolic engine that can handle complex mathematical expressions and equations. This makes it useful for solving differential topology problems, which often involve complicated equations and geometric concepts. Mathematica also has built-in functions for solving differential equations and performing symbolic integrations, which can be useful in differential topology research.

4. Are there any limitations to using Mathematica for studying differential topology?

While Mathematica is a powerful tool for studying differential topology, it does have some limitations. For example, it may not be able to handle very large or complex datasets, and it may not have all the specialized features that are available in other software programs specifically designed for differential topology research. However, Mathematica is constantly evolving and new features are added with each update, so many of these limitations may be addressed in the future.

5. Is Mathematica only useful for advanced researchers in differential topology, or can it be used by students and beginners as well?

Mathematica can be used by both advanced researchers and students/beginners in differential topology. While it does have more advanced features and functions that may require some mathematical knowledge, it also has a user-friendly interface and many built-in tutorials and guides for beginners. Additionally, there are many online resources and community forums available for support and learning how to use Mathematica for differential topology research.