Box hanging from a rope, need to know the force.

In summary, the tension in the rope for a) is 225.4N, for b) it remains at 225.4N, for c) it is 350.4N, and for d) it is 100.4N.
dmdmm
A 23 kg box hangs from a rope. What is the tension in the rope if the following are true?

a)The box is at rest?
b)The box moves up at a steady 5.0 m/s?
c)The box has Vy = 5.0 m/s and is speeding up at 5.0 m/s^2?
d)The box has Vy = 5.0 m/s and is slowing down at 5.0 m/s^2

I have gotten a) = 225.4N. Because acceleration is 0. I do not know how to go about solving the other three parts though.

I know the force of gravity is acting on the box in addition to the tension force.

For b):
Since velocity is constant, I would think that the forces would be in equilibrium. But apparently I am wrong. I really have no idea how to solve this.

Any help at all would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I figured it out. Now I feel stupid. Since acceleration is 0 (constant velocity), there would be no change in the force. So for b) the answer would still be 225.4N.

This is good, now try 'c' and 'd' using Newtons 2nd law. Welcome to PF!

Thanks.

Yeah, sorry I never replied back last night. But I did get the right answers. As soon as I figured out what was going on, everything just clicked.

What I was doing wrong for c and d was that I wasn't accounting for the the change in force. I just found the force with those particular amounts of acceleration.

1. What is the force acting on a box hanging from a rope?

The force acting on a box hanging from a rope is the weight of the box, which is equal to the product of its mass and the acceleration due to gravity.

2. How can I calculate the force on a box hanging from a rope?

The force on a box hanging from a rope can be calculated using the formula F = mg, where F is the force, m is the mass of the box, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

3. Does the length of the rope affect the force on a box hanging from it?

Yes, the length of the rope does affect the force on a box hanging from it. The longer the rope, the more force will be required to hold the box up due to the increased weight and tension of the rope.

4. Is the force on a box hanging from a rope constant?

No, the force on a box hanging from a rope is not constant. As the box swings, the force will vary due to changes in tension and direction of the rope.

5. What other factors can affect the force on a box hanging from a rope?

Other factors that can affect the force on a box hanging from a rope include the mass of the box, the strength and thickness of the rope, and the presence of any external forces such as wind or friction.