Boiling Point H20 @ 600 psi?

In summary, the conversation discusses the boiling point of water at 600 psi and the behavior of water inside a chamber under those conditions. The question is raised about whether the water is boiling or evaporating, and the potential reasons for this behavior are explored. The conversation also mentions the size of the chamber and the amount of water present, and suggests reviewing Dalton's Law for a better understanding of the situation.
abhipatel
Boiling Point H20 @ 600 psi?

According to the psychometric chart boiling point of water @ 600 psi is 252 C.

I have a chamber with water inside (in forms of weight measured drops). I am purging CO2 at 600 psi in the chamber. After am heating the chamber to 155 deg C expecting the water to stay.

It boils or just goes away - I have no idea why it is happening?

Could anyone please explain what are the potential reasons that could be happening?

Engineering news on Phys.org

I think just evaporating because I can't see it boiling...The chamber size is quite big...and water measured would be like 100 mg max.

You might want to review Dalton's Law.

There are a few reasons why water in your chamber may be boiling or disappearing at 600 psi and 155 degrees Celsius. One possible reason is that the water is reaching its boiling point at that pressure and temperature. As pressure increases, the boiling point of water also increases. At 600 psi, the boiling point of water is around 252 degrees Celsius, so it is possible that the water is boiling and turning into steam at 155 degrees Celsius.

Another potential reason is that the CO2 you are purging into the chamber is causing a reaction with the water, resulting in the water turning into steam and disappearing. CO2 is known to have a strong affinity for water, so it is possible that it is reacting with the water molecules and causing them to evaporate.

Additionally, it is important to consider the properties of the chamber and the materials it is made of. If the chamber is not properly sealed, the pressure inside may be fluctuating and causing the water to boil or evaporate. It is also possible that the material of the chamber is not able to withstand the high pressure and temperature, causing it to deform or crack and release the water.

I would recommend further investigating the properties of your chamber and the materials you are using, as well as carefully controlling the pressure and temperature to determine the exact cause of the water boiling or disappearing. Additionally, conducting experiments with different pressures and temperatures may help to better understand the behavior of water under these conditions.

1. What is the boiling point of H2O at 600 psi?

The boiling point of H2O (water) at 600 psi (pounds per square inch) is approximately 651.8°F (345.4°C). This is significantly higher than the boiling point of water at atmospheric pressure, which is 212°F (100°C).

2. How does pressure affect the boiling point of water?

As pressure increases, the boiling point of water also increases. This is because pressure compresses the gas phase of water, making it more difficult for water molecules to escape into the gas phase and become vapor. Therefore, higher pressure requires higher temperatures to overcome this resistance and reach the boiling point.

3. Why is water's boiling point higher at 600 psi compared to atmospheric pressure?

Atmospheric pressure is equal to the weight of the air above a given area. Water at sea level is exposed to atmospheric pressure of approximately 14.7 psi. At 600 psi, the water is exposed to much greater pressure, which results in a higher boiling point.

4. What is the significance of boiling water at high pressures?

Boiling water at high pressures has practical applications in many industries, such as in power plants where water is heated to high pressures to create steam and generate electricity. It is also used in industrial processes that require high temperatures, such as in chemical reactions and food processing.

5. Is 600 psi a safe pressure to boil water at?

600 psi is a relatively high pressure and should only be handled by trained professionals in controlled environments. It is not safe to attempt to boil water at this pressure without proper equipment and safety precautions in place.