Career in alternative energies engineering.

In summary, the conversation discusses the career path of a person with a BS in Mechanical Engineering who is interested in pursuing a career in alternative energy engineering. They are seeking advice on how to enter this field and are open to further education or training. The conversation also mentions that there may not be specific degrees for alternative energy engineering and suggests exploring job opportunities in related fields such as wind turbines, nuclear power, and heat pump design. Additionally, obtaining a certificate in alternative energy may be an option, but it is regarded as unnecessary by some.
mechanirvb
Career in alternative energies engineering...

I have a BS in Mechanical Enineering with several years experience with general ME practices (i.e CAD design of parts and systems, CAM and machine work, project management). I am looking to start a carrer in alternative energy engineering. I am not interested in the Green buildings/LEED side of this field, more so in the energy section (i.e solar, wind, geothermal). Is there any advise on how to jump into this field given my ME backgound? I would not be apposed to going back to school or getting more training, I just do not know where to go/start. Are there any Masters programs in alternative/sustainable/green energy that are recomemnded? Is there a place where I can find rankings of these programs? Any direction with this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Engineering news on Phys.org

Welcome to PF...

I don't know that there are any degrees designed for "alternative energy engineering" - why not just use your degree as-is? You could get a job working on wind turbines for GE, a nuclear power plant, a hydro turbine company, a heat pump design firm, etc. with an ME degree.

A BSME is all you need to get a job in alternative energy. Here in the state of michigan, a lot of universities offer certificates in alternative energy which you get after taking 3 or 4 related courses, but in my opinion these are pointless.

If you want to work in alternative energy I recommend you go out and look for a job that suits your desires. Like Russ said, you have a lot of options.

1. What is alternative energies engineering?

Alternative energies engineering is a branch of engineering that involves the design, development, and implementation of renewable and sustainable energy sources, such as solar, wind, hydro, geothermal, and biomass. It focuses on finding alternative solutions to traditional energy sources, which are often non-renewable and have negative environmental impacts.

2. What are the job prospects for a career in alternative energies engineering?

The job prospects for a career in alternative energies engineering are very promising. With the increasing demand for renewable energy sources, there is a growing need for professionals in this field. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the employment of alternative energy engineers is projected to grow 5% from 2019 to 2029, which is faster than the average for all occupations.

3. What skills are required for a career in alternative energies engineering?

To be successful in a career in alternative energies engineering, one should possess strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as a solid understanding of math and science. Additionally, knowledge of computer-aided design (CAD) software and renewable energy systems is essential. Good communication and teamwork skills are also important for collaborating with other professionals on projects.

4. What kind of education is needed for a career in alternative energies engineering?

Most alternative energies engineering positions require a minimum of a bachelor's degree in engineering, with a focus on renewable energy or a related field. Some employers may prefer candidates with a master's degree in engineering or a related field. It is also beneficial to have experience in internships or co-op programs to gain hands-on experience in the field.

5. What are the challenges faced in a career in alternative energies engineering?

One of the main challenges in a career in alternative energies engineering is the constantly evolving nature of the industry. As renewable energy technologies continue to advance, it is important for engineers to stay updated on the latest developments and adapt to new methods and techniques. Additionally, the availability and cost of renewable energy sources can also be a challenge, as they may vary depending on location and other factors.