Creating a Mesh with Beam Objects in Anysis

• Thread starter engr86
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Beam Mesh
In summary: Beware that specifying type and real may not be enough; you also need to set the secn. For example, if the secn is 1.5, then REAL(1.5) and SECN(1.5) must both be set.Beam elements must be meshed on lines, using the LMESH command with the proper TYPE, REAL, and SECN set prior. The following is a full example of a static analysis using beam elements/prep7!--insert materials hereSECTYPE,1,BEAM,CSOLIDSECDATA,1.0,8,2!--define geometryk,,0,0,0k,,10,0,
engr86
I'm using anysis to model a 3-d object. I'm using a series of beams. however, when i try to mesh the beams, it says that it's unable to do that. When I add a shell, anysis meshes the model. How do I create a mesh with only beam objects?

Physics news on Phys.org
BEAM elements must be meshed on lines, using the LMESH command with the proper TYPE, REAL, and SECN set prior. The following is a full example of a static analysis using beam elements
Code:
/prep7

!--insert materials here
SECTYPE,1,BEAM,CSOLID
SECDATA,1.0,8,2

!--define geometry
k,,0,0,0
k,,10,0,0
l,1,2

!--mesh the line
type,1
real,1
secn,1
lmesh,1

!--boundary conditions
ksel,s,kp,,1
nslk
d,all,ux,0.0,,,,uy,uz,rotx,roty,rotz

ksel,s,kp,,2
nslk
f,all,fx,-100

allsel,all
/solu
antype,static
save
solve
save
finish

edit: You can use the command /ESHAPE,1 to turn on the element shaping which allows you to "see" what the beams look like. This can be important when you start using orientation nodes and need to see which way unsymmetric elements are facing. Good luck,

When you say a 3-D object, is it a truss structure with lines that are defined in 3-D? Beams can only be meshed to lines; if your object is a volume or surface, you cannot use beam elements to mesh it.

I'm trying to model a 3-d object (a frame with t-bars) and I thought that defining 3d beams would be the best way. Is there an easier way?

That's probably the easiest way. As mentioned though, you need to line mesh. Put keypoints [K,num,x,y,z] at all the intersections. Then draw lines from keypoint to keypoint [L,kp1,kp2]. Then, you define your sectypes as I mentioned above.

At this point, I'll give the obligatory RTFM for defining beam sections.

At that point, simply LMESH the lines, apply boundary conditions and solve. From the sound of it, you need to spend a few days and just go through the help, do some test cases, get accustomed to the software.

1. How do I create a mesh with beam objects in Ansys?

To create a mesh with beam objects in Ansys, you can use the "Beam3" element type. First, you will need to define the body of the beam by creating nodes at each end of the beam, and then connect them using the "Line" element type. Once the beam body is defined, you can use the "Beam3" element type to create a mesh along the length of the beam.

2. What is the purpose of using beam objects in Ansys?

Beam objects in Ansys are used to model slender structures such as trusses, beams, and frames. These elements are ideal for modeling structures with large length to cross-sectional area ratios, and are widely used in structural analysis and design.

3. How do I specify the properties of a beam object in Ansys?

You can specify the properties of a beam object in Ansys by defining the cross-sectional properties, material properties, and orientation of the beam. These properties can be assigned to the beam using the "Beam3" element type, or by selecting the beam and using the Properties window.

4. Can I create a mesh with different types of beam objects in Ansys?

Yes, Ansys allows you to create a mesh with different types of beam objects. You can use the "Beam3" element type to create straight beams, or use the "Pipe" element type to create curved beams. Additionally, you can also use the "Beam188" element type to create beams with a variable cross-section.

5. How can I check the quality of my mesh with beam objects in Ansys?

Ansys provides a variety of tools to check the quality of your mesh with beam objects. These include element shape checks, mesh density checks, and aspect ratio checks. You can also use the Mesh Metric tool to evaluate the quality of your mesh and make necessary adjustments.