Math of Transfinite Donuts in 3-D Space

• Thread starter HarryWertM
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Transfinite
In summary, there is no known math involving donuts with an infinite number of holes. Riemann surfaces, which are two-dimensional donut-like objects in three-dimensional space with one hole, are well understood in mathematics. However, constructing a doughnut with uncountable many holes is not possible and would not be considered a paracompact manifold. Examples such as S\times I and the long line Cartesian product with the circle show that it is not possible to create a torus with an infinite number of holes.
HarryWertM
Has anyone ever developed any sort of math involving donuts with an infinite number of holes? By donut, I mean a two-dimensional closed surface, curved in 3-space, with one 'hole'. Are there any results, of any kind, for 2-D donuts in 3-D space, with infinite number of holes?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think they're about as well understood as the donut with one hole. Riemann surfaces are one of the most thoroughly understood branches of mathematics.

Could you construct a doughnut with uncountable many holes ? It would not be a paracompact manifold.

You mean something like [tex]S\times I[/tex], where S is the unit disk with the rational points inside a circle of radius 1/2 centered at the origin deleted?

Last edited:
Sine Nomine said:
You mean something like [tex]S\times I[/tex], where S is the unit disk with the rational points inside a circle of radius 1/2 centered at the origin deleted?

Not sure how that example is a torus.

I was thinking more of the long line Cartesian product the circle with uncountably many holes removed.

1. What is the concept of transfinite donuts in 3-D space?

The concept of transfinite donuts in 3-D space is a mathematical idea that explores the properties of a donut shape with an infinite number of holes, known as a "torus". This shape exists in a three-dimensional space and has infinite possibilities for its dimensions and geometry.

2. How is the math of transfinite donuts in 3-D space relevant to real-world applications?

The math of transfinite donuts in 3-D space may seem abstract, but it has important implications in fields such as topology, geometry, and physics. It also has practical applications in computer graphics and 3-D modeling, as well as in understanding the behavior of fluid dynamics and electromagnetic fields.

3. What are some key properties of transfinite donuts in 3-D space?

Some key properties of transfinite donuts in 3-D space include the fact that they have infinite surface area and can have an infinite number of holes. They also have a unique property called "self-intersection", where the shape can pass through itself without touching.

4. How is the math of transfinite donuts in 3-D space different from regular donut math?

The math of transfinite donuts in 3-D space involves working with infinite quantities and dimensions, while regular donut math deals with finite quantities and dimensions. Additionally, transfinite donut math involves concepts from topology and abstract algebra, while regular donut math relies on more basic arithmetic and geometry principles.

5. Can transfinite donuts exist in physical reality?

While the math of transfinite donuts in 3-D space can be applied to real-world scenarios, it is not possible for an actual transfinite donut to exist in physical reality. This is because it would require infinite space and matter, which is not possible in our finite universe. It is a concept that exists in the realm of mathematics and theoretical physics.