Confused about nuclear binding energy

In summary, the conversation is about the concept of binding energy in relation to the mass of a nucleus and the energy released from fission and fusion reactions. The speaker is confused about how the binding energy affects the mass of the nucleus and why certain elements, such as iron and nickel, are considered the most stable. They are seeking clarification on these topics.
metalmaniac
hi there,

now I've been googling around for ages now trying to find this answer but i cant

i have read time and time again that a nucleus always has less mass than the sum of the masses of the nucleons in it. This is put down to the binding energy, this is where i get confused

surely if it takes energy (binding energy) to hold the nucleus together and energy = mass then the nucleus would have more mass than the sum of the masses of the nucleons wouldn't it?
because its mass would be the mass of each of the nucleons plus the mass of the binding energy given by e=mc^2

can someone please explain how this works?
and another thing...

i know that the energy released from fission and fusion is because the total binding energy of the resultant nuclei is less than the binding energy of the original nuclei, but why is it less? and why is iron/nickel the 'threshhold'
any help greatly apreciated

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
binding energy counts as negative, just as potential energyless means more negative thus strongly bound (here you have the hint for the answer for the first question!)

why Iron/Nickel : some nucleus has to be the most stable one

What is nuclear binding energy?

Nuclear binding energy is the amount of energy required to hold the nucleus of an atom together. It is the energy that binds protons and neutrons together in the nucleus.

How is nuclear binding energy calculated?

Nuclear binding energy is calculated using Einstein's famous equation, E=mc^2, where E is the energy, m is the mass defect (difference between the mass of the nucleus and the sum of the masses of its individual particles), and c is the speed of light.

Why is nuclear binding energy important?

Nuclear binding energy is important because it determines the stability of an atom. Atoms with higher nuclear binding energy are more stable and less likely to undergo nuclear reactions. It also plays a crucial role in nuclear power and weapons.

How does nuclear binding energy affect nuclear reactions?

Nuclear binding energy affects nuclear reactions by determining whether a reaction will release or absorb energy. Reactions that involve particles with lower binding energy than the particles before the reaction will release energy, while reactions that involve particles with higher binding energy will absorb energy.

What factors affect nuclear binding energy?

The main factors that affect nuclear binding energy are the number of protons and neutrons in the nucleus, the distance between these particles, and the forces that hold them together. The strong nuclear force, which is one of the four fundamental forces of nature, plays a crucial role in determining the binding energy of a nucleus.