Mathematica graphing problem - twisted plane

In summary, the conversation was about graphing a twisted rectangle in Mathematica. The suggested solution was to use ParametricPlot3D with appropriate parameters to achieve the desired effect.
anonamatron
Hi folks,

I'm trying to graph something in Mathematica, and honestly don't know where to start.

Imagine you have a rectangle in the x,z plane of a 3D space. Now, twist one end of the rectange so it's parallel to the y axis. The opposite end remains parallel to the x axis. Between the two, you basically have a line segment at each point along a segment of the z axis, with the angle it makes increasing steadily.

The best I've come up with is Plot3D[x Tan[\[Pi]/2 z/4], {x, -2, 2}, {z, 0, 4}] (the numbers are arbitrary), but that doesn't have the finite width I'm looking for - you can see the plane rotating all right, but no edges will ever come into view.

Have I explained that clearly enough?

Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Try ParametricPlot3D[{v, u Cos[v], -u Sin[v]}, {u, 0, 1}, {v, 0, \[Pi]/
2}] . I think this is what you want. You might have to play with u and v, but I think you get the idea.

1. How do I plot a twisted plane in Mathematica?

To plot a twisted plane in Mathematica, you can use the ParametricPlot3D function. First, define the equations for the twisted plane, such as x = u + sin(v), y = u + cos(v), z = v. Then, use the ParametricPlot3D function to plot the twisted plane by inputting the equations and setting appropriate ranges for the variables.

2. Can I change the color and style of the twisted plane graph?

Yes, you can change the color and style of the twisted plane graph by using the options available in the ParametricPlot3D function. For example, you can use the ColorFunction option to specify a color gradient, or the PlotStyle option to change the line style of the graph.

3. How can I add labels and axes to the twisted plane graph?

To add labels and axes to the twisted plane graph, you can use the AxesLabel and PlotLabel options in the ParametricPlot3D function. These allow you to specify the labels for the x, y, and z axes, as well as a title for the graph.

4. What if I want to plot multiple twisted planes on the same graph?

You can plot multiple twisted planes on the same graph by using the Show function. First, use the ParametricPlot3D function to plot each twisted plane separately, and then use the Show function to combine them into one graph. You can also use the PlotRange option to adjust the viewing window for the graph.

5. Is it possible to rotate and manipulate the twisted plane graph?

Yes, you can rotate and manipulate the twisted plane graph by using the Manipulate function. This allows you to interactively change the values of the parameters in the equations for the twisted plane, and see the resulting changes in the graph. You can also use the ViewPoint option to adjust the viewing angle of the graph.