Torque and holding torque question

• Thread starter vindego
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Torque
In summary, the conversation is about building a gyroscopic device and calculating the starting torque and holding torque needed for a motor to spin a 2.5 inch flywheel that is .75 of an inch thick and weighs 2lbs at 10,000 rpm. The experts suggest multiplying the weight by the distance from the center of mass to get the approximate torque needed, and taking into account startup inertia and friction. They also mention the importance of having a low friction and balanced system for maintaining the target speed. The conversation also touches on the importance of having a high mass close to the circumference for maximum gyroscopic effect, but also notes that this will increase the drive requirements.
vindego
Hello,

I am bit lacking in knowledge in this area and would really appreciate some help :)

I am building a gyroscopic device and need to calculate the starting torque and holding torque that a motor would require to wind up and spin a 2.5 inch flywheel that is .75 of an inch thick and weighs 2lbs
can be in either ft-lbs or Nm
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Holding torque normally refers to a servo's ability to produce a higher torque if not moving (this is because the poles of the motor don't have to cycle through field changes, but it also produces more heat).

Oh, sorry... I guess the power the motor would require to maintain the flywheel at target speed. The speed it will be spinning at is 10,000 rpm

I'd figure out the center of mass of the level arm of the fly-wheel, somewhat in from the circumference so say 1" from the center (assuming the 2.5" is a diameter not a radius), and multiply by the weight: 1" * 2lb to get about 2 in-lb or .125 ft-lb. Then you have startup inertia and friction to deal with, so maybe double that. I doubt that you will find a 10Krpm motor so you probably have drive train ratios and losses to think about too.

Once it's up to speed it shouldn't take much to keep it there because you will have to have built a very low friction and balanced system to get it to spin that fast to start with...

Thanks Schipp!
Thats simple enough :)
I have a supplier lined up already who has motors that spin well beyond that with little trouble they were just asking for my loading so they don't under size it.

Thanks again, much appreciated!

Actually I realized that I typed too quickly... divided by 16 to get ft-lb from in-lb, should have been 12 (12 inches to a foot, 16 oz to a lb, duh). So make it 2/12 ft-lb or 32 in-oz. And I would, if I could, double it for inertia etc. Also don't order a 1000 of them until you test my hypotheses...

lol, no problem :)
So if I have a 3" flywheel weighing 2 lbs it would be the radius 1.5*2/12 to get 0.25 ft-lbs?
Ya, I'm only getting the one to start to test on my prototype.

Thanks!

My assumption is that the lever arm you are dealing with is at the center of mass along the radius you are trying to spin. If you imagine all the weight of your flywheel being squished into a narrow circle at that distance, the force need to spin it would be the same as having the weight distributed evenly. Since the weight is proportional to the area (actually volume, but the thickness is fixed so we can ignore it...I hope), that distance should be -- I wasn't un-lazy enough to figure this out in my original reply -- the square-root of 1/2 the square of the Radius. In your 3" diameter case then it would be -- ugh, where's my calculator -- 1.5 * 1.5 = 2.25, / 2 = 1.125, sqrrt = 1.06" -- whereas the 2.5" version should actually be at around .88"

Which brings up another point. If you are making a gyroscope you want as much mass as you can get to be close to the circumference to maximize the effect. This will also boost your drive requirements though.

1. What is torque?

Torque refers to the measure of a force's tendency to cause an object to rotate about an axis. It is commonly measured in units of newton-meters (Nm) or foot-pounds (ft-lbs).

2. How is torque related to holding torque?

Holding torque is a specific type of torque that refers to the amount of force required to prevent a rotating object from turning. In other words, holding torque is the amount of torque needed to keep an object in a fixed position.

3. How is torque and holding torque important in science?

Torque and holding torque are important concepts in science, especially in fields such as physics, engineering, and robotics. They are crucial for understanding rotational motion, designing machines and mechanisms, and controlling the movement of objects.

4. What factors affect torque and holding torque?

The main factors that affect torque and holding torque are the magnitude and direction of the force being applied, the distance between the force and the axis of rotation, and the moment of inertia of the object. Other factors such as friction and external forces can also play a role.

5. How can torque and holding torque be measured?

Torque and holding torque can be measured using a torque wrench or a dynamometer. These tools apply a known force to an object and measure the resulting torque. Alternatively, mathematical calculations can be used to determine torque based on the applied force and distance from the axis of rotation.