Law of Gravitation: Is F Proportional to m1*m2?

In summary: If you double y, z= x+ 2y which is not 2z.In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between physical quantities, specifically the proportionality between z and x and z and y. The question is raised whether z will always be in the form z = Cxy, where C is a constant, if z is proportional to both x and y. The conversation also explores alternative mathematical formulations of the expression, such as F \propto m_1 + m_2, and discusses the meaning of "linear" in this context. The conclusion is that z must involve a combination of both x and y and cannot be expressed as a function of only one of these variables.
cepheid
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I just have a question about relationships between physical quantities. Is it true that if:

[tex] z \propto x \ \textrm{and}\ \ z \propto y [/tex]

then [itex] z [/itex] will always be in the form:

[tex] z = Cxy [/tex]

Where [itex] C [/itex] is a constant?

What prompted me to ask was Newton's Universal Law of Gravitation. In the textbook I have, it wastes no time arriving at the typical equation by simply stating that Newton determined that the gravitational force between two masses was directly proportional to the product of those masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. So my question could be restated: In the expression:

[tex] F = G\frac{m_{1}m_{2}}{r^2} [/tex]

Is the fact that F is proportional to the product of the masses a necessary consequence of the mathematics? I.e., does the math demand that it be so in order to satisfy the condition that the gravitational force is directly proportional to (varies linearly with) m1 and also varies linearly with m2?

Or is there an alternative (non-physical) way of formulating the expression that still satisfies the stated condition. For instance, would:

[tex] F \propto m_1 + m_2 [/tex]

fit the bill mathematically? It seems to me that when you consider the relationship between F and each one of the masses, all other things being equal, it is still linear.

Physics news on Phys.org
cepheid said:
I just have a question about relationships between physical quantities. Is it true that if:

[tex] z \propto x \ \textrm{and}\ \ z \propto y [/tex]

then [itex] z [/itex] will always be in the form:

[tex] z = Cxy [/tex]

Where [itex] C [/itex] is a constant?

Actually, if z is proportional to x, then z = kx, where k is the constant of proportionality, and likewise, if z is also proportional to y, then z = ry, where r is again the constant of proportionality. So, we can right:

kx = ry, but I don't see how to get z = Cxy, unless you want to know what z^2 is, then you have z^2 = krxy or Cxy, where C = kr

If [itex]z^2 = Cxy[/itex] then z would vary as [itex]\sqrt x[/itex] and as [itex]\sqrt y[/itex]. Obviously, that's inconstent with the original assertions.

geometer said:
Actually, if z is proportional to x, then z = kx, where k is the constant of proportionality, and likewise, if z is also proportional to y, then z = ry, where r is again the constant of proportionality. So, we can right:

kx = ry, but I don't see how to get z = Cxy, unless you want to know what z^2 is, then you have z^2 = krxy or Cxy, where C = kr

Umm...(as Tide pointed out)...no. z cannot be expressed as a function of only one of either x or y. If z if proportional to both x and y, then any expression for z must include both variables on which z is dependent i.e. it must involve some combination of the two. The question I was asking was, in the case of the gravitational force law, this combination takes the form of a product. Is there any other mathematically (if not physically) valid form e.g. like the sum, as I asked in my first post, that still satisfies the condition that F is proportional to m1 and F is also proportional to m2?

cepheid said:
Or is there an alternative (non-physical) way of formulating the expression that still satisfies the stated condition. For instance, would:

[tex] F \propto m_1 + m_2 [/tex]

fit the bill mathematically? It seems to me that when you consider the relationship between F and each one of the masses, all other things being equal, it is still linear.

It seems to me...
If [itex] F \propto m_1 [/itex], then doubling [itex]m_1[/itex] will double [itex]F [/itex].
However, if [itex] F \propto (m_1 + m_2) [/itex], doubling [itex]m_1[/itex] will not double [itex]F[/itex] unless [itex]m_2=k m_1[/itex].

If [tex] z \propto x[/tex] then, all other things held constant, z= Cx. If [tex]z \propto y[/tex] then, all other things held constant, z= Dy. In the second equation, x is one of the things being held constant: If y is held constant and x varies then I must still have z= D y except that, now, y is constant and D is varying: z= Cx= (Ex)y.

There is an unfortunate ambiguity in the term "linear". In very basic math, y= ax+ b is called "linear" because its graph is a line. In more advanced math, the only "linear" functions are of the form y= ax.

As robphy pointed out, If z= Exy and you double x, z= E(2x)y= 2(Exy)= 2z. If you double y, z= Ex(2y)= 2(Exy)= 2z. On the other hand, if z= x+ y and you double x,
z= 2x+ y which is NOT 2z.

1. What is the Law of Gravitation?

The Law of Gravitation, also known as Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation, is a fundamental principle in physics that describes the attractive force between two objects with mass. It states that the force of gravity between two objects is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. How is the force of gravity calculated using the Law of Gravitation?

The force of gravity between two objects can be calculated using the equation F = G * (m1 * m2)/r^2, where F is the force of gravity, G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, and r is the distance between them.

3. Is the force of gravity always proportional to the product of the masses?

Yes, according to the Law of Gravitation, the force of gravity is directly proportional to the product of the masses of the two objects. This means that if the mass of one object increases, the force of gravity between the two objects will also increase proportionally.

4. What is the significance of the inverse square relationship in the Law of Gravitation?

The inverse square relationship in the Law of Gravitation means that as the distance between two objects increases, the force of gravity between them decreases by the square of that distance. This explains why the force of gravity becomes weaker as objects move further away from each other.

5. Does the Law of Gravitation apply to all objects in the universe?

Yes, the Law of Gravitation applies to all objects in the universe, regardless of their size or mass. However, for objects with extremely small masses, such as atoms, the force of gravity is so small that it is negligible in comparison to other forces.