Irreducible representation of so(3)

In summary, the question is whether a first rank cartesian representation of so(3) is irreducible. This type of representation can be parametrized using Euler angles, and each matrix in so(3) rotates a vector around a different vector, making it unlikely to have an invariant one or two dimensional subspace. While a one-dimensional representation is per definition irreducible, it is also a trivial representation for semisimple Lie algebras like so(3). So, the question remains whether this has been proven in the literature or if there is another way to prove it.
nematic
Hi guys, I have a question which is very fundamental to representation theory.
What I am wondering is that whether a first rank cartesian representation of so(3) is irreducible.
As I understand first rank cartesian representation of so(3) can be parametrized in terms of the Euler angles. That matrix representation of so(3) contains sine and cosine of the three Euler angles which are rotation matrices that transform a vector (x,y,z).
So my understanding is that representation must be irreducible because each matrix in so(3) transform a vector by rotating it around a direction. However each matrix in so(3) rotates a vector around a different vector. Therefore there is no invariant one and two dimensional subspace of so(3).
That seems to be a plausible explanation. What I think to be more solid proof is to be able to say that any similarity transformation in so(3) does not simultaneously sent all representative of so(3) into one block diagonal form.
I was wondering if it is already proved in the literature or is there any way we can prove it.

Physics news on Phys.org
A one dimensional representation is per definition irreducible, since there cannot be subspaces. It is also a trivial representation since for all ##X\in \mathfrak{g}## where ##\mathfrak{g}## is a semisimple Lie algebra, and ##\mathfrak{su}(3)## is simple, ergo semisimple, we can find ##Y,Z \in \mathfrak{g}## such that ##X=[Y,Z]##. Now we get ##X.v=[Y,Z].v=Y.Z.v-Z.Y.v=\lambda(Y)\lambda(Z).v-\lambda(Z)\lambda(Y).v=0## since every operation of ##Y## on ##v## turns ##v## into a multiple ##\lambda(Y)\cdot v## and ##\lambda## has to be a linear form.

1. What is an irreducible representation of so(3)?

An irreducible representation of so(3) is a mathematical construct used to describe the fundamental symmetries of a three-dimensional object or system. It is a way of breaking down a complex system into simpler components that can be analyzed and understood.

2. Why is the irreducible representation of so(3) important in science?

The irreducible representation of so(3) is important because it allows scientists to understand and predict the behavior of three-dimensional systems, such as molecules or crystals, based on their symmetries. This is essential for many areas of science, including chemistry, physics, and materials science.

3. How is the irreducible representation of so(3) calculated?

The irreducible representation of so(3) is calculated using mathematical techniques such as group theory and representation theory. These involve breaking down a system into its fundamental symmetries, and then finding the corresponding mathematical representations for each symmetry element.

4. What are some real-world applications of the irreducible representation of so(3)?

The irreducible representation of so(3) has many practical applications, such as in the study of molecular vibrations, crystal structures, and magnetic materials. It is also used in the development of new materials, such as superconductors, and in theoretical models for understanding the behavior of complex systems.

5. Are there any limitations to the use of the irreducible representation of so(3)?

While the irreducible representation of so(3) is a powerful tool in scientific research, it does have some limitations. It may not accurately describe systems with high levels of complexity or disorder, and it may not be applicable to systems with symmetries that are not three-dimensional. Additionally, the calculations involved can be complex and time-consuming.