Building a Chopper: Seeking Expert Advice on Transmission Mounting

In summary, the conversation is about building custom choppers and the difficulties that come with it, specifically with transmission mounting. The speakers discuss using different engines and methods for mounting the transmission, and one of them offers plans for chopper frames and jigs. They also mention the importance of proper alignment and measurements when welding the mount in place.
sheldon
I am building a custom chopper, hardtail frame. I am learning as I go and I had a video to help me but my vcr ate it. Does anybody know about transmission mounting or anything about bikes?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I know a little, but nothing about choppers. I thought most Engines had the tranny built in. I don't know much about HD components though.

I've been wanting to do a chopper myself someday, but use a Hyabusa engine.

Uhm, let me ask my bro about that and I'll get back to ya. He's put a good bit of time into them.

I have a set of Chopper Frame and Jig plans for sale. 7 plans. All dimensions and angles are included. I put a page on my welding website so I didn’t clutter up the forum.

www.butchswelding.com/frames.html

Email me if you want more info.

Thanks a lot!
Mitch

canadian_welder@yahoo.ca

you could always look at another frame at a custom motorcycle shop, or any HD dealership for that matter. if you had the time, you could completely gut the trans case, bolt the mounting plate to it, and bolt it to the inside of the primary and bolt that to the engine. That would align your primary drive, and then all you would have to do is make sure that your secondary belt is aligned. Then tack the mount in place, check your measurements again and weld. Just make sure that the mount is mounted level, and inline, I helped my friend put in his engine mount (which is basically the oppsite way) and we had huge headaches the first time we tried because we didn't make sure it was square in the frame, and the outside primary cover would not fit.

1. How do I determine the best location for the transmission mount?

The best location for the transmission mount will depend on several factors such as the type of frame and engine being used, as well as the desired riding style. It is important to consider weight distribution, clearance for other components, and the strength and stability of the chosen location. Consult with experienced chopper builders or use online resources for guidance.

2. What materials should I use for the transmission mount?

The most commonly used materials for transmission mounts are steel and aluminum. Steel is sturdy and strong, but can be heavy. Aluminum is lightweight, but may not be as durable. It is also possible to use a combination of materials for added strength and reduced weight. Ultimately, the choice of material will depend on personal preference and the needs of the specific chopper build.

3. How do I ensure proper alignment of the transmission mount?

Proper alignment of the transmission mount is crucial for smooth and efficient operation of the chopper. It is recommended to use a laser alignment tool to ensure accurate positioning. This may require some trial and error to get the mount in the correct position. It is also important to double check the alignment after welding or attaching the mount to the frame.

4. Can I relocate the transmission mount on an existing chopper?

Yes, it is possible to relocate the transmission mount on an existing chopper, but it can be a complex and time-consuming process. It may also require modifications to other components such as the frame or exhaust. It is important to carefully plan and measure before making any changes to the transmission mount location.

5. Do I need to reinforce the transmission mount?

The need for reinforcement of the transmission mount will depend on the size and weight of the engine, as well as the riding style of the chopper. In general, it is recommended to use reinforcement plates or gussets to strengthen the mount and prevent it from flexing or breaking under stress. Consult with experienced builders or engineers for specific recommendations based on your chopper build.