Can you prove the distributive laws?

• Thread starter phillyolly
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Laws
In summary: Part (b):Suppose x \in (A \cap (B \cup C)). Then by the distributive law, (x \in A) \vee (x \in (B \cap C)) \vee (x \in B \vee x \in C). Hence, x \in ((A \cap (B \cup C)) \cup (A \cap (B \cup C)). Thus, (by part (a)) x \in ((A \cap B) \cup (A \cap C)). Therefore, x \in ((A \cap (B \cup C)) \cup (A \
phillyolly

Homework Statement

This is not a HW, I am reviewing the basic material for my own use.

Please prove the distributive laws.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• pic.jpg
    pic.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 366
Physics news on Phys.org
Read my post about proving equivalence relations on your other thread "Proof (Real Analysis I)." The same concept of needing to prove it forwards and backwards applies here. Simply substitute in the appropriate premises and conclusions.

Raskolnikov said:
Read my post about proving equivalence relations on your other thread "Proof (Real Analysis I)." The same concept of needing to prove it forwards and backwards applies here. Simply substitute in the appropriate premises and conclusions.

Hi,
Thank you for the posts. I read you previous post on equivalence. I am a person with zero experience in Real Analysis. What you wrote made little sense to me. If you can do either of these problems, it will jump start my process of learning. Can I ask you to solve either problem step-by-step?
Again, these are not my HW questions.

If you have zero experience, then I would recommend teaching yourself or taking a quick course on boolean logic and point-element set theory first. I'll go into (almost excess) detail below to help you out here, but you should be able to get this.

Part (a):

[tex]( \Rightarrow )[/tex]
Let [tex] x \in ( A \cap (B \cup C) ). [/tex]
Then [tex] (x \in A) \wedge (x \in B \vee x \in C). [/tex]
Thus, by the distributive law, [tex] (x \in A \wedge x \in B) \vee (x \in A \wedge x \in C). [/tex]
Hence, [tex] x \in (A \cap B) \vee x \in (A \cap C). [/tex]
Therefore, [tex] x \in ((A \cap B) \cup (A \cap C)). [/tex]

Note: we are just halfway through the proof. We have proved the statement in the forward direction. Now we need to prove it backwards, i.e., [tex] x \in ((A \cap B) \cup (A \cap C)) \rightarrow x \in ( A \cap (B \cup C) ). [/tex]

This was so extremely helpful. I am very thankful to you, Raskolnikov.

1. What are the Distributive Laws?

The Distributive Laws, also known as the Distributive Property, are two mathematical principles that describe how multiplication and addition are related. The first Distributive Law states that when multiplying a number by a sum, the result is the same as multiplying each addend separately and then adding the products together. The second Distributive Law states that when multiplying a sum by a number, the result is the same as multiplying each term in the sum by the number separately and then adding the products together.

2. Why is it important to prove the Distributive Laws?

The Distributive Laws are fundamental principles in mathematics and are used in many algebraic equations and operations. By proving these laws, we can ensure that they hold true and can be relied upon in all mathematical contexts. Furthermore, proving the Distributive Laws helps to deepen our understanding of the underlying concepts and principles of mathematics.

3. How do you prove the Distributive Laws?

The Distributive Laws can be proven using various methods, such as algebraic manipulation, geometric proofs, or through the use of mathematical properties and axioms. One approach is to show that the equations on both sides of the Distributive Laws are equivalent, meaning that they have the same solutions for all possible values of the variables involved.

4. Can the Distributive Laws be applied to other mathematical operations?

Yes, the Distributive Laws can also be applied to other mathematical operations, such as subtraction and division. For example, the first Distributive Law can be extended to subtraction by stating that a(b - c) = ab - ac. Similarly, the second Distributive Law can be applied to division by stating that a(b/c) = (ab)/c.

5. What are some real-life applications of the Distributive Laws?

The Distributive Laws have numerous real-life applications, particularly in fields such as engineering, economics, and computer science. For instance, the laws are used in calculating compound interest, determining the total resistance in an electric circuit, and simplifying equations in computer programming. They are also essential in solving problems involving distribution of resources, such as budgeting and resource allocation.