Understanding Condensation in a Rankine Cycle

In summary, the conversation discusses a doubt about how a vacuum is formed during the condensation process in a condenser. The process is described as isobaric and isothermal, but the question arises about how a vacuum can form if the pressure remains constant. The person has searched for an explanation online but has not found a detailed answer. They also mention reading about the formation of a vacuum due to the difference in specific volumes between steam and condensed water.
ashutoshd
I am a 2nd year mech engg student. I have a basic doubt in condensers. The steam from turbine exhaust enters the condenser & gets condensed during which its specific volume decreases resulting in formation of partial vacuum. Now according to rankine cycle the process in a condenser is a isobaric & isothermal one(shown by a horizontal straight line coinciding with lower isobar in T-S diag) so if pressure remains constant how is vacuum formed during condensation? I mean shouldn't the pressure decrease too?
This could be a silly question but i have scouted the web but couldn't find any page dealing with this in detail apart from cursory explanation. Any urls explaining this in detail are welcome.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Why do you think a vacuum forms?

I read it in some books and many places on the net that a partial vacuum is created by virtue of great difference in specific volumes of steam & the condensed water. Is it wrong?

1. What is condensation in a Rankine Cycle?

Condensation in a Rankine Cycle is the process in which the working fluid, typically water, changes from a gaseous state to a liquid state. This occurs in the condenser of the cycle, where the high-pressure vapor is cooled and condensed back into a liquid.

2. Why is condensation important in a Rankine Cycle?

Condensation is important in a Rankine Cycle as it allows for the efficient transfer of thermal energy. The condensed liquid, which has a lower temperature and pressure, can then be pumped back into the boiler to be heated and turned into steam again, completing the cycle.

3. How does condensation affect the efficiency of a Rankine Cycle?

The efficiency of a Rankine Cycle is directly affected by the rate of condensation. The faster the working fluid can condense, the more energy can be transferred from the steam to the cooling medium, resulting in a higher efficiency for the cycle. Therefore, condenser design and operation are crucial in achieving optimal efficiency.

4. What factors can impact the condensation process in a Rankine Cycle?

There are several factors that can affect the condensation process in a Rankine Cycle. These include the temperature and pressure of the cooling medium, the temperature and pressure of the working fluid, and the surface area and design of the condenser. These factors must be carefully controlled in order to achieve efficient condensation.

5. How can condensation be optimized in a Rankine Cycle?

Condensation can be optimized in a Rankine Cycle through proper design and operation of the condenser. This includes maximizing the surface area for heat transfer, controlling the temperature and pressure of the cooling medium, and maintaining proper flow rates. Additionally, regular maintenance and cleaning of the condenser can also help improve condensation efficiency.