Evaluate Integral with Residue Theorem: Residue Theorem Homework

In summary, the conversation discusses evaluating an integral by converting it to a complex integral over the unit circle and using the Residue Theorem. The conversation also touches on different methods for finding the residue of a pole and converting a polar integral to a complex integral. The conversation concludes with the individual asking for advice on studying cauchy and residue theorem for an upcoming test.
jjangub

Homework Statement

Evaluate [tex]\int_{0}^{2\pi}[/tex] (cos^4[tex]\theta[/tex] + sin^4[tex]\theta[/tex]) d[tex]\theta[/tex] by converting it to a complex integral over the unit circle and applying the Residue Theorem.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I switch (cos^4[tex]\theta[/tex] + sin^4[tex]\theta[/tex]) to 1-2cos^2[tex]\theta[/tex]+2cos^4[tex]\theta[/tex] (I will skip this one, this is not hard)
and then coverting to a complex integral by inputting cos[tex]\theta[/tex] = (z+1/z)/2 and
multiply cos terms by 1/iz, so 1 - 1/iz(((-2)(z+1/z)/2)^2 + ((2)(z+1/z)/2)^4)
this is how prof. taught us...we have to use this formula
so if I do the work and make it simpler, then I get equal to
= (-z^8+2z^6+8iz^5+z^4+2z^2-1)/(8iz^5) in integral(-infinity to infinity)
= 2[tex]\pi[/tex]i [tex]\sum[/tex] (Residue of f on upper half plane)
= 2[tex]\pi[/tex]i(-1/8i)Res0
= -[tex]\pi[/tex]i/4Res0
since Resa = h(z)/(z-a)^n = h^(n-1)(a)/(n-1!)
so in this case, Res0 = h^4(0)/(4!)
h(z) = z^8-2z^6-8iz^5-z^4-2z^2+1
if we do h^4(0), we get -12, so
= (-[tex]\pi[/tex]i/4)*(-12/4!) = [tex]\pi[/tex]/8
I did it in this way and I got this answer.
Did I do anything wrong?
Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Two mistakes. First, you have an algebra mistake somewhere. Your integrand should be

[tex]\frac{z^8+6z^4+1}{8iz^5}[/tex]

Second, your contour is wrong. You're using the substitution z=e. As θ runs from 0 to 2π, z moves along the unit circle. That should be your contour.

yes, I made a mistake.
Now, I got that equation. I know this quesetion sounds silly, but I am kind of lost on cauchy integral and residue theorem. so do we have different method for when we have 1 order of pole, 2 order of pole or higher, and for cos and sin?
Is there any good site which is well and easily organized about this?
And for this question, I got c0=e^(pi*i/5) and c1=3(pi*i/5)
but I can't get exact value of pi/5 for cos and sin...
maybe I did wrong...
Thank you.

jjangub said:
yes, I made a mistake.
Now, I got that equation. I know this quesetion sounds silly, but I am kind of lost on cauchy integral and residue theorem. so do we have different method for when we have 1 order of pole, 2 order of pole or higher, and for cos and sin?
The easiest, and probably the least error-prone, method is to expand the function as a Laurent series about each pole and then pick off the coefficient of the (z-z0)-1 term. In this problem, you have a (fifth-order) pole inside the contour at z=0, and the integrand is already a Laurent series about z=0:

[tex]-\frac{i}{8} z^{-5} -\frac{3i}{4} z^{-1} - \frac{i}{8} z^3[/tex]

so the residue is -3i/4. This method, of course, requires proficiency in expanding functions as series, but once you acquire the skill, I think you'll find it's the easiest and quickest way to find the residue.

You can also find the residue of an n-th order pole using the formula

[tex]\frac{1}{(n-1)!} \lim_{z \to z_0} \frac{d^{n-1}}{dz^{n-1}} [(z-z_0)^n f(z)][/tex]

For this problem, this expression is pretty easy to evaluate, but when you have a more complicated function, you end up having to apply the product rule, chain rule, quotient rule, etc., and the algebra can easily become messy.

That said, either method is pretty straightforward conceptually. It's just a matter of doing the actual calculation correctly. That skill is something you'll develop with time and practice doing these problems.
Is there any good site which is well and easily organized about this?
And for this question, I got c0=e^(pi*i/5) and c1=3(pi*i/5)
but I can't get exact value of pi/5 for cos and sin...
maybe I did wrong...
Thank you.
Sorry, I'm not sure what c0 and c1 are.

maybe this will be the last question...I hope
so if I convert polar integral (with cos and sin) to complex integral, then
it changes from integral(zero to 2pi) to integral(negative infinity to positive infinity)?
or it works only if it is unit circle?
so i end up with Res(z=-3i/4)f = (2*pi*i)(-3i/4) = 3pi/2
I really appreciate your help...
Thank you so much!

jjangub said:
maybe this will be the last question...I hope
so if I convert polar integral (with cos and sin) to complex integral, then
it changes from integral(zero to 2pi) to integral(negative infinity to positive infinity)?
The substitution you use to convert the integral is z=e. What path is traced out in the complex plane as θ runs from 0 to 2π?
or it works only if it is unit circle?
so i end up with Res(z=-3i/4)f = (2*pi*i)(-3i/4) = 3pi/2
I really appreciate your help...
Thank you so much!

so...path is 0 to infinity?
so I have to multiply by 1/2 to 3pi/2?
well...this cauchy and residue theorem parts are so confusing for me...
in class, prof gave us the easy example, so I understood, but the question for assignment and tests are hard...
I have test next week...how should I study cauchy and residue theorem?
just memorize theorem and do examples?
Thank you...

No. Where are you getting infinity from?

well, if i do it again, i got
z = e^i(0) = 1 and z = e^i(2pi) = cos(2pi) + isin(2pi) = 1
is this right?

You have z=e=cos θ+i sin θ. What path does this function map the interval [0,2π] onto?

What is the Residue Theorem?

The Residue Theorem is a mathematical tool used to evaluate complex integrals by using the residues of a function at its singularities. It is based on the Cauchy Integral Formula and can simplify the integration process by avoiding the need for complicated contour calculations.

How is the Residue Theorem used to evaluate integrals?

The Residue Theorem states that for a function f(z) with singularities at points z1, z2, ..., zn, the integral of f(z) over a closed contour C is equal to 2πi times the sum of the residues of f(z) at its singularities within the contour. This allows us to evaluate complex integrals by finding the residues and taking their sum.

What is a singularity?

A singularity is a point in a function where it is not defined or becomes infinite. In the context of the Residue Theorem, singularities are points at which the function has a pole or a branch point, and these points are important in evaluating integrals using the theorem.

What are the steps for evaluating an integral using the Residue Theorem?

The steps for evaluating an integral using the Residue Theorem are:

1. Identify the singularities of the function within the contour of integration.
  2. Calculate the residues of the function at each singularity.
  3. Apply the Residue Theorem formula to find the value of the integral.

In some cases, additional steps may be required to simplify the integral before applying the Residue Theorem.

What are the limitations of the Residue Theorem?

The Residue Theorem is limited to evaluating integrals over closed contours, which means it cannot be used for integrals that do not have a closed contour of integration. Additionally, the function being integrated must have only simple poles, and the contour must include all the poles of the function. Finally, the Residue Theorem is only applicable to functions that are analytic on and within the contour of integration.